Thread: Cantenna Users?

1. Default Cantenna Users?

I'm trying to get a feel for how many people are using directional antennas with the Wi-Spy 2.4x, and how it is working out for them.* MetaGeek has recommended the Cantenna to some of you.

*Have you had any success with it?

Wow! this thread is almost 3 years old with no replies. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyhow, I have a question about the Super Cantenna: Would it work as a directional antenna for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums? Or just the 2.4GHz spectrum? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

I have used the metageek device finder on the 2.4Ghz and it seems to work well.
    http://www.metageek.net/products/device-finder

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    I have used the metageek device finder on the 2.4Ghz and it seems to work well.
    http://www.metageek.net/products/device-finder
    Uh...it doesn't answer my question but thank you for your input. I'd assume that the device finder would work with the Wi-Spy considering they're both made/are being sold by the same company!

Yep, I knew it was not 100%, I was just trying to give feedback about "a" directional antenna that I have used.

I would expect that any directional antenna tuned to the freq. you want would work. I would also expect that there would be some cross freq. support, but not as good as a correctly tuned antenna.

Since the WiSpy units are receive only, you should not be able do any harm (Please Correct me if I am wrong) by connecting a pasive antenna to it. The worst you should get as no signal.

I have it, use it, and it is directional, somewhat. I can't really quantify, but you can see it when using it with the spectrum analyzer. How does it compare with the Metageek device finder? I don't know, as I've not used Metageek's device.

FWIW, I'm using the Cantenna with a DBx, under Apple OS X 10.6, on a MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo. I've used Metageeks Chanalyzer Lite for the Mac, Eakui, Chanalyzer under VMWare Fusion with XP, and have tried, but failed to get it work with VMWare Fusion with Linux using spectools. Currently, under XP, I'm using Chanalyzer 4 but still learning the ins and outs of it. For one thing, I'm not sure if it upgraded the firmware in my DBx like the upgrade email said it would.

I sometimes use the Cantenna with an Alfa AWUS036H USB wireless adapter. It pulls in a signal when the MacBook Pro's antenna doesn't work good enough to pick up the signal (and it is well known that it's antenna/wireless adapter system sucks). It is a bit sensitive to where you are pointing it, as it is directional. BTW, I don't use it for networking (e.g. surfing the internets) but instead run it with Kismet (Linux) or KisMac.

In short, the Cantenna is an improvement over the Mac's internal antenna, and it is directional. Though I've not used other antennae to know how it compares, it does seem to work.

Cheers,
    Ersin

Dormant for exactly 1 year... until now.
    Now this is a good reason to break out my Super Cantenna. Seems to do the job fairly well if you have a busy network.
    Here's the recording. Disregard all the sessions except for the last one. Can't figure out how to strip them out.
    cantenna.wsx

I did a file transfer from the AP to the client while I stand about 20 feet away, holding the cantenna in different directions. The AP is on channel 1, called "ZC NOC" (I have 2 APs in my apt)
    22:14:00-22:14:50 - I'm pointing the cantenna directly at the AP
    22:14:50-22:15:15 - Spun it 90 counter-clockwise (so it's facing parallel to the AP)
    22:15:15-22:15:30 - Spun it 180 clockwise (facing parallel, but the other way)
    22:15:30-22:16:00 - Pointing directly at the AP again.

Also did the same experiment, but on 5GHz band. Again, disregard the other sessions except for the last one. Wish there was a way to strip them out. Maybe a new feature request for Channalyzer 4?
    5GHz doesn't seem to be quite as clear-cut, which makes sense. The cantenna was only designed for 2.4GHz.
    cantenna5G.wsx
    Last edited by zerocool; 02-07-2012 at 01:11 AM.

8. Default

thanks for posting this. I really enjoy seeing experiments like this.

In Chanalyzer Pro there is a session manager which will let you edit sessions out during a live capture. Thank you for taking the time to do this, I've created image snapshots of the recording for you in Pro's Report Builder.

Lined Up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nubslyup.qgw.png 
Views:	282 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	614

90 Degrees off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bx0q0uaq.14a.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	613