Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Directional Antenna

Default Directional Antenna

Hello, I'm looking for a good hand held directional antenna for the WiSpy device. I need to hunt down longer range interference and want to use the WiSpy device to do that. If any one here has any suggestions, that would be great!!! This would be mostly in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Thanks much,
    Mark

Default Hi Mark: I'm also looking

Hi Mark:

I'm also looking into something like this. What I am looking for in particular is to be able to point an Antenna in a particular direction, and the signal becomes stronger or weaker depending therby giving me an idea of where the signal is comming from.

Any ideas of which Antenna would work best would be appreciated.

3. Default We have tried the Super

We have tried the Super Cantenna and the Ramsey Log Periodic. The Ramsey is very compact and works from 2-11GHz, so it is a great option for DBx.* You'll need a SMA-Male to RPSMA adapter for it, though.* DIYers can get a Log Periodic antenna kit from Kent Electronics, as well.

*We'll continue to look into other options and post what we discover.

Default Hi Brian: Thanks for the

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to anything else you may find. I may go for the Ramsey - I'm trying to locate where I can get the SMA-Male to RPSMA for it.

Default Brian Again, thanks for the

Brian

Again, thanks for the advice. You stated that an SMA-Male to RPSMA connector is needed. Is the RPSMA end male or female.

Regards,

Default The ideal solution for a

The ideal solution for a locating antenna would give you the following:

- High Front-to-Back ratio to ensure that the signal is coming from in front of you, not from behind
    - Different Elevation and Azimuth characteristics so that you can rotate the antenna to one orientation for a wide 'view', and simply turn it 90* for a narrow 'view' (specs of about 20* and 60* would be ideal)
    - Rapid drop-off and little side-lobe coverage to avoid false points
    - Either a Type N female connector or a solid pigtail so that you can hold or move the antenna separately from the radio/receiver
    - Compact size to fit in your bad easily

Just as importantly, I would think very carefully about something like a wideband log periodic antenna. Listening only to the specific frequency that you want to see (so NOT a log periodic) is helpful, but in some cases you may need to locate a source that is only affecting you in its 2nd, 3rd or fourth harmonic.

Huh? 1.2GHz, 800MHz and 600MHz can all crate interference at 2.4GHz. It's the same affect as striking two different tuning forks and hearing the warble when their frequencies converge. Those are all licensed and regulated bands, so the equipment may be harder to identify, and they are allowed to put out FAR more power than 2.4GHz.

Default This one is small, reliable

This one is small, reliable and close to the specs above:

http://www.pacwireless.com/products/MD24-12.shtml

L-Com (formerly HyperLinkTech) does not carry that model, but does have 2.4/5.8GHz log periodics, other antennas and high-quality pigtails.

http://www.l-com.com/category.aspx?id=2073

Default Hi everybody! I had tried to

Hi everybody!

I had tried to find here any information related to RP-SMA connector used with wi-spy DBx but I didn't found anything, so have doubts. I'm waiting for my DBx (need to wait one more week), and I need to buy antenna adapters to attach two antenna connector types - RP-TNC (used by Cisco) and type N connector.

Witch connector is on the antenna side of wi-spy? I believe its RP-SMA female, right? The RP-SMA pin is on the wi-spy chassis... right?

So, I need RP-SMA female <-> RP-TNC male or RP-SMA female <-> type N female?

Thanks.

cheers,

JM

9. Default Witch connector is on the

<blockquote>
    Witch connector is on the antenna side of wi-spy? I believe its RP-SMA
    female, right? The RP-SMA pin is on the wi-spy chassis... right?
    </blockquote>
    That is correct.* You can find one here: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ACX1248-ND

Default Check out the Tritium

Check out the Tritium Flatenna. www.tritium.co.uk
    It's a simple linear parabolic reflector made out of cardboard with a metal layer on the back. It mounts mechanically by fitting over the vertical antenna post. Price is $10-12. Good front to back ratio and gain in the 12db range, or there about. Should work well for localizing emitter direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast