Thread: How to run inSSider in Vmware in MacOs10.5

Default How to run inSSider in Vmware in MacOs10.5

Have installed inSSider in a Vmware window in a Macbook runnong OS10.5. Installation went fine but when you try to scan the error message "unable to use selected interface. Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown."
    The vmware window is working fine and am able to access the internet through internet explorer.

The automatic installation picked "AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapeter- Packet Scheduler Miniport" which I suppose is what VmWare uses to attaceh tp the apple airport hardware.

Is it possible to get the programme to work with this configuration?

Any help of an immediate nature gratefully accepted as I am trying to debug a student house where the internet connection has suddenly become unreliable and isi essential to their "work"!!

2. Default InSSIDer requires access to

InSSIDer requires access to the wifi card in order to work.* VMWare Fusion virtualizes the wifi card as a generic network adapter, and it looks like an ethernet adapter in Windows, so InSSIDer cannot use it.* There are two options for using InSSIDer on a Mac.

1) Get a USB wifi adapter. VMWare Fusion will directly mount the USB wifi adapter, and then InSSIDer can use it for scanning.

2) Use Boot Camp, which gives Windows native access to your hardware, so InSSIDer can use you built-in wifi adapter.

You may also want to consider using one of the wifi tools for Mac OS X.* Personally, I use KisMac, but there are many options out there.
    Last edited by Tyler; 02-25-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Default You may also want to

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    You may also want to consider using one of the wifi tools for Mac OS X. Personally, I use KisMac, but there are many options out there.
    Your link is dead, and the latest KisMac (r319) doesn't work on 10.5.6, FWIW.

MacStumbler 0.75b doesn't work either. Ditto KisMet, iStumbler.

Anyone else have suggestions? Is there a USB dongle with good sensitivity that is known to work with InSSIDer?
    Last edited by Tyler; 02-25-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

4. Default inSSIDer was tested with the

inSSIDer was tested with the Zyxel AG-225H and the D-link DWA-160 USB Dongles. You can find much cheaper USB dongles that will work just as well.
    Last edited by Tyler; 02-25-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: removed garbage formatting from old forum

5. Default Hmmm, sorry the link didn't

Hmmm, sorry the link didn't work for you, it does point to the KisMac website.* I'm using r319 on 10.5.6 on my MBP (late '07), and it is working.

Default Thanks for your and everyone

Thanks for your and everyone else's input. I ended up installing istumbler which seems to work fine. If I have time I will test a dongle I keep at work.

Scan errors can occur:
    1. If one or more of the Shavlik NetChk Protect Scanning Prerequisites have not been met
    2. If one or more configuration issues are present in Shavlik NetChk Protect
    3. Due to one or more environmental issues.
    what is the error code so that i can figure out???