Thread: windows mobile version ??

Default windows mobile version ??

any chance that there will be a windows mobile version comming out ?
    would like to test it on my HTC diamond phone

any chance windows mobile 8 version on nokia lumia 820 ??? want to use inssider for scanning networks. thanks maus

Unfortunately at this point, Windows Mobile 5 and 6 are no longer being shipped on any mainstream devices.

We'd like to produce a Windows Phone 7 and 8 version, but the Windows Phone API doesn't give us close enough access to the wireless card to perform Wi-Fi scanning. Only Android has proven to be open enough to make inSSIDer function properly. We'd love to bring it to some more mobile platforms, but at this point, we can't!

Thank you for your interest!
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

You might want to take another look at Windows Phone 8. Windows Phone 7 won't work since you have to use managed code, but using native code for a Windows Phone 8 specific version might work.

We look a look at Windows Phone 8, and we were disappointed to find that the Wi-Fi API doesn't give us close enough access to the wireless card.
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    We look a look at Windows Phone 8, and we were disappointed to find that the Wi-Fi API doesn't give us close enough access to the wireless card.
    I'm owner of Nokia Lumia 920
    When searching for networks I see list of SSID and signal strength for each network.
    It is not enough to trigger the graphics signal levels of networks in real time?

Quote Originally Posted by VFOX View Post
    I'm owner of Nokia Lumia 920
    When searching for networks I see list of SSID and signal strength for each network.
    It is not enough to trigger the graphics signal levels of networks in real time?
    Unfortunately, it's not. Without access to the beacons, we can't get detailed dBm, RSSI, channel, or security types, which would make a Windows Phone version of inSSIDer seem pretty handicapped. In addition to the signal strengths that you are seeing, those are only available to the wifi configuration applications that are built into Windows Phone 7/8, not to any other apps.

We were really, really bummed when we found out that there aren't any API's there for us to tap into. We'd love to bring inSSIDer to Windows Phone, but our developers took a good hard look at it, and found that we just couldn't.
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek