Thread: Another which wi-spy

Default Another which wi-spy

Hi,

I am looking to get a wispy, but firstly I just want to check which one will do the job. I want to be able to visually show the difference between 40MHz 802.11n transmissions and 20MHz 802.11g transmissions. Secondly I want to be able to visually see the energy spread difference between 802.11b and 802.11g. Finally I also want to see how much frequency bleed there is, into adjacent channels at varying distances. I would expect that if you put Wi-Spy right next to a transmitting device it would show its channel usage as being wider than the standard 20MHz.

Thanks for your time

2. Default It sounds like you will only

It sounds like you will only need to view the 2.4GHz band.* Which limits you to one choice, the Wi-Spy 2.4i or the Wi-Spy 2.4x.* If you are using this for demonstratable* or educational purposes, I recommend the Wi-Spy 2.4x.* It will allow you to record and play back captures.* You will be able to download recordings from our library, which you may find some that already exemplify what you need.The Wi-Spy 2.4x has more sensitivity, and* the antenna can be replaced with a directional.* Please check out the comparison page here: Wi-Spy comparison
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 10-14-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Default Great sounds good. So as far

Great sounds good. So as far as I can see, if I do not need great sensitivity, an external antenna or the ability to replay captures then the 2.4i will work just fine, correct?

Also as I will be using this device in linux, is the 2.4i capable of producing the spectral view, topo view and Planar view. There is a picture here [1] of the kind of output I am after, however, I noticed that they are using a 2.4x.

Thanks again for your time trent

[1] http://www.kismetwireless.net/screen...2007-10-ui.jpg

4. Default The latest release of

The latest release of Spectools does support the Wi-Spy 2.4i.