Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie: What GPS devices?

Default newbie: What GPS devices?

I just installed inssider on my new HP laptop (running Vista but soon to be MS Win 7) and it works great. I dont have a GPS device (yet). Im not too familiar with available PC hosted GPS devices and the InSSider manual says nothing about compatibility. Is it pretty much compatible with any laptop GPS receiver? If not, which ones? Which ones are popular/preferred?

I own a Garmin Etrex (with serial port) and a Garmin Nuvi 765t (with USB). Is there any way i can get one of these to provide lat/long data to InSSider?

Default The Garmin Etrex

Welcome to the forums!

The Garmin Etrex should work, you just have to set it to output NMEA in the Interface menu.

The USB version requires some extra software to work.
    For it you might want to look into a program like Spanner or GPSgate.

Default ordered a Globalsat BU353

I researched a little after i posted the original question. My laptop does not have a serial port. I found several USB GPS units that meet the NMEA standard. They also have the sensitive sirf III chipset and run off USB power, unlike the old Etrex. I ordered one For only 36.95 including shipping - cheaper than a USB to serial converter that would be required for the Etrex.

Default Cool! Let us know how well

Cool!

Let us know how well it works.

5. Default Thanks for the tip. This is

Thanks for the tip. This is a much better solution for people using inSSIDer. We hope it works!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
    I researched a little after i posted the original question. My laptop does not have a serial port. I found several USB GPS units that meet the NMEA standard. They also have the sensitive sirf III chipset and run off USB power, unlike the old Etrex. I ordered one For only 36.95 including shipping - cheaper than a USB to serial converter that would be required for the Etrex.
    We just ordered one of those to use for testing here, as well. Looks like a nice unit!

Question Got the BU-353, it works, no INSSIDER detection yet

Installed the software (a driver and a test program: "GPS Info") from the CD included with the unit. I mounted the GPS unit on its suction cup and stuck it on a window so its looking southeast.

After setting up the com port and the baud rate as required in the installation instructions, the test program would not detect anything on any com port (it has a "scan" function). The scan function itself didnt seem to respond and i wasnt able to directly assign the comp port thru its menu. I went to the mfr website (http://www.usglobalsat.com/) and downloaded "GPS info" for vista from there. This version scanned the com ports and allowed me to select the correct one. As soon as i selected "start GPS" i got 8 satelllites locked within 30 sec or so. The test program continually polls for position and updates text in a window. Great sensitivity. The little LED on the unit does what it says (solid on=locked to adequate satellites, flashing = not).

So far so good....

I "closed GPS" from the test program, and quit the test program because the BU manual said something about 2 programs cant simultaneously access a com port. I started INSSIDER, configured the com port (preferences, GPS tab) and started scan (there are 3 Wifi nodes detected). Text at bottom always says "No GPS Detected". There is no GPS data logged or displayed. I restarted the test program and started GPS scanning....test program still works fine. Closed the test program, reopened INSSIDER....same response. I tried changing the com port assignment in INSSIDER and then changing back...........same response.

I will search this forum to see if i can figure this out. Any help diagnosing this is appreciated.

Edited: I didnt find any clues on the INSSIDER support. However, there is one report of a similar Holox unit not being recognized. (no resolution on that one yet). I will be converting from Vista to Win 7 as soon as it arrives in the mail. Keep fingers crossed!

Feel free to move this to the INSSIDER support area - i should have put it there.
    Last edited by evofxdwg; 10-23-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: This should be on the "support" string...sorry

Talking working but im not sure why

After playing with com port settings WHILE INSSIDER is running, both from the INSSIDER side and Vista USB device settings, unplugging and plugging up the USB, and crashing a couple of times, the GPS is now recognized. I quit and restarted a couple of times and it comes up consistently with GPS enabled and correct lat/long displays on all detected wifi nodes. Not sure what i did and what happens after i power off and restart everything.

Anyway.........I can go wardriving now!
    Thanks for developing INSSIDER.

Unhappy no joy

I downloaded the latest version of inSSIDer on the advice of Troy in an email response to a system crash event. I got GPS enabled but after a few minutes running, Vista restarted. I did this twice, i wasnt doing anything but watching it run.

Now i cant get GPS enabled again. I can configure the COM port and check the "enable" box but when i open it again, it is not checked. I have not tried to unplug the GPS USB, fearing crashing.

Default downloaded 1 more time

I assumed the program had damaged itself so i removed and did a dowload/install again. The newly downloaded version "remembered" my com port setup. I was assuming it would clean out my preferences when reinstalled. It does not crash but i cannot get GPS enabled. It will not save the GPS enable checkbox when i check it. Logs are being created.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast