Thread: Understanding time at data file .wsr

Default Understanding time at data file .wsr

Good Afternoon!
    I'm writing to you because i'd like to understand better how is measured the time in the file .wsr.
    I read the specs of the wi-spy 2.4x, and i've found the sweep time is fixed at 165 msec (approx). Is it really fixed? or can i change it?.
    Studying the file .wsr i've realized that for each frequency value there is a power value (dBm) at a specific time value (microseconds). If we have a sweep time (a IF filter, scanning the whole ISM band, frequency by frequency progressively), how could be possible to have in the file's table a single time value for all the frequencies in the band? Does it refer to the time at wich was measured the first frequency's power (2,4e9 Hz)? May you please clarify me this? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
    Jesus Roldan

2. Default The user is able to adjust

The user is able to adjust the step size, start/stop frequency, and resolution bandwidth.* The higher the step size, the lower the sweep time will be. As far as your second question goes, I'm not exactly sure what you are attempting to do with the Wi-Spy recording.* Can you clarify?

Default Hi Trent! I'm a master

Hi Trent!
    I'm a master thesis student, i'm trying to export the data collected from the wi-spy into a software i made. After converting .wsr file into a .csv file, it seems in the .csv table that the power for each frequency is measured at the same time 't' given in microseconds.
    I've seen in the parameters of the wi-spy 2.4x, a frequency resolution and a sweep time, if that's true i don't understand how the samples (power) at each frequency are taken at exactly the same time.
    I'm trying to monitor the medium in a microsecond base, but i don't know if i can make it with this instrument. (I'll need samples of the power for all frequencies at each microsecond, and reducing the spam i reach a limit of just 70 msec).
    In conclusion, first i'm trying to understand the data at the .csv file (if there's a sweep rate how is it possible to get the power samples of all the frequencies at the same time 't'), and then i would like to know if i could sample each 10 microseconds (Approx) with this hardware/software, and how to do it.
    Thank you so much.
    Best Regards

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jroldand View Post
    Hi Trent!
    I'm a master thesis student, i'm trying to export the data collected from the wi-spy into a software i made. After converting .wsr file into a .csv file, it seems in the .csv table that the power for each frequency is measured at the same time 't' given in microseconds.
    I've seen in the parameters of the wi-spy 2.4x, a frequency resolution and a sweep time, if that's true i don't understand how the samples (power) at each frequency are taken at exactly the same time.
    They aren't. The Wi-Spy sweeps discrete frequencies across the band, starting with the lowest frequency and stepping at the step frequency until it reaches the highest frequency. We don't measure the time delta between each point in a sweep, only at the beginning of a new sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by jroldand View Post
    I'm trying to monitor the medium in a microsecond base, but i don't know if i can make it with this instrument. (I'll need samples of the power for all frequencies at each microsecond, and reducing the span i reach a limit of just 70 msec).
    I'm sorry to say that I don't think the Wi-Spy will meet the needs of your Masters thesis. The hardware is not capable of sampling even a single frequency at a 10 usec interval. Best of luck with your thesis!

Thanks Brian!
    Your post was really helpfull!
    Best Regards
    Jesus Roldan