Thread: Alfa (AWUS036H) usage with inssider. how to do it to work?

Default Alfa (AWUS036H) usage with inssider. how to do it to work?

Hello.
    I have an alfa network AWUS036H wifi adapter.
    I started to use inssider.
    How can I do inssider to work with AWUS036H?
    I connected the alfa to usb 2.0 port.
    I can not select ALFA device on the top right menu. I mean I did not find it.
    Please what shall I have to do to run inssider with AWUS036H?
    Thanks
    Francesco

2. Default I'm not familiar with that

I'm not familiar with that particular hardware.* InSSIDer only knows how to get wifi information via the Windows wireless interface.* If your card is using its own wireless management software, InSSIDer won't know how to talk to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    Hello.
    I have an alfa network AWUS036H wifi adapter.
    Please what shall I have to do to run inssider with AWUS036H?
    Francesco
    I also use this as one of my devices when using insider. This is what I have found.

You have to load the drivers for the card (here is the link to make it easy)
    AWUS036H Driver

You then have to restart you computer (I am assuming that you are using XP)

Then if you look at the bottom right hand side of your screen, you will see a red and blue crab (The RealTek logo). You will need to right click on that and hit exit.

Then go to start and connect to then left click (when the little sub menu comes up) on Network Connections.

Look at your devices and double left click the wireless device which you want to use.

If it can see wireless networks then you are good to go. But...*

*If it says that windows does not mange this device you have to look to the left hand side of that window, then you will see and option that says Advance Options.

You will need to left click on that and then you will see a window. Left click on the second tab (sorry do not what remember what it said) but the option you are looking for is is Let Windows Mange this Device.

Check that box and Left click OK (to apply the settings). Windows should now see Wireless Networks.

You can open inSSIDer now and it should work.

For any one who wants to use this device (It is not as hard as it sounds to get it working)
    The link is here.
    Alfa-AWUS036H

The old ones (One that I have, which is just 2 months old) are 500mW, but the new ones are a full 1W [1000mW].
    It is USB and also has a removable (external) Antenna. One of the best Wireless devices I own. (It also is plug and play with BT3 and BT4 and can do packet injection)

4. Default

Wow. Thank you for posting this! This is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Wow. Thank you for posting this! This is very helpful.
    Thank you for the complement.
    I have ordered the new 1W (1000mW) device to get verification that this works with newer device. Should be here on Monday next week.

I will give an update.

Default 1000mW?

Wow.. 1W.
    I think mine is like 70-100mW.

I didn't know high powered WiFi adapters existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Wow.. 1W.
    I think mine is like 70-100mW.

I didn't know high powered WiFi adapters existed.
    Yep, and not too bad in price.

On more powerful units
    I have only seen one once, and can not find one. I have seen a 4W (4000mW) WiFi device. I have been looking for one for about 2 years now but still can not find one.

It looked like the perfect unit, just so perfect I can not find one. Oh well. I get my 1W device in a few days, I should be more then happy with that one.