Thread: GPX file issues

Default GPX file issues

I like to scan while driving and compile a GPX file that I can open in Google Earth with GPS coordinates. I was expecting all the data to show up on my route in GEarth but for some strange reason, all the data shows up in the middle off the ocean off of the African horn!? Could it be the way in which my GPS is presenting the physical coordinates?

Also, does anyone know a good resource for learning how to export to KML as I am unable to do this.

Cheers.

The same thing happened to me. How do I fix this?

This seems to happen when your regional settings use a comma as the decimal place instead of a period. Are your settings like that? We are working to fix this.

I too have the same issue. Hopefully, there is a fix soon.

5. Default

You need to convert the file to a KML for it to work in Google Earth.

File > Export to KML
    Choose the .gpx file.
    Choose a directory for the kml files to export to.

I usually just do "summary" and uncheck the rest.

The bottom half I leave at defaults.

Click ok.

Go to the directory where you saved your KML file and open that in google earth.

Thanks for the update, however, I have done this on several occassions. In fact, InSSIDer, finally crashed on me generating a report which I have submitted.

Once The GPX file was exported to KML prior to the crash it wouldn't show any of the coordinates in Google Earth. Additionally, after confirming the functionality of my BU-353 USB device was working via the GPS Information Utility every instance in turning GPS in InSSIDer was always disabled.

Something is afoot and despite following the instructions on configuring the device shown in a YouTube tutorial things still aren't working.

Please advise.

Trent:
    I haven't seen this mentioned, so I have to ask. Has anybody tried GPSgate (http://franson.com/gpsgate/) with inSSIDer and have any comments about it? It supposedly allows versatility in importing GPS data from various sources (like the BU-353) and exporting GPS data to multiple destinations (like Google earth, Google maps) and they claim a 2 week free trial with two versions of the software for $13 or $40.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    This seems to happen when your regional settings use a comma as the decimal place instead of a period. Are your settings like that? We are working to fix this.
    I was having the same problem, too. There's two solutions:

1- Manually open up the .KML file with Notepad and replace the commas in the coordinates with dots.
    2- Go to Control Panel -> Regional Settings and choose the dot as a decimal separator.

Otherwise all AP's are on the coast of Africa, in the middle of the ocean. I wonder where they got electricity under water ahah

Quote Originally Posted by iRiKi View Post
    I was having the same problem, too. There's two solutions:

1- Manually open up the .KML file with Notepad and replace the commas in the coordinates with dots.
    2- Go to Control Panel -> Regional Settings and choose the dot as a decimal separator.

Otherwise all AP's are on the coast of Africa, in the middle of the ocean. I wonder where they got electricity under water ahah
    Thanks for the tip, that did the trick. After some frustrations I finally got it to work - Record log in InsSIDer, export NS1 file - I still have to run it through KNSgem, but then it also reads correct in Google Earth.

Don't know if it's mentioned elsewhere, but I got it to work with the integrated GPS in my Nokia 5800 via EXTgps and a bluetooth connection to my laptop.

jeex, unless one does A LOT of wardriving, I still use the notepad solution. Call me old fashioned eheh

Quote Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
    Trent:
    I haven't seen this mentioned, so I have to ask. Has anybody tried GPSgate (http://franson.com/gpsgate/) with inSSIDer and have any comments about it?
    I've tried it, and it worked with GPS2Blue!!