Thread: XBox Controllers - Can Wi-Spy help me?

Default XBox Controllers - Can Wi-Spy help me?

Hi. I'm not (yet) a Wi-Spy owner, but I'm very interested in what it does and I think it might be able to help me identify a problem I'm having, so hopefully some users here with more experience will be able to help with a couple of questions before I make purchase. It's not the most expensive product, but not the cheapest either you understand

My problem is with XBox 360 wireless controllers. Over the last few weeks, the wireless controllers randomly seem to stop working. You can use the guide button to turn on the console, and then the controller should sync and allow you to control the dashboard and games etc. However, both my controllers (and also wireless Guitar Hero guitars and DJ Hero deck) do not connect to the console and just flash as if searching for a console to connect to

What's irritating me most is that the controllers can work fine and then start to play up, then die completely, which suggests to me something is being turned on and is swmaping the signal from my controllers. They won't even work if I attempt to turn them on while right next to the console. It must be a helluva signal! Eventuallly later at night (after 11pm usually) they'll work fine again

Some Googling hints at the possibility of interference on the 2.4GHz waveband which many folk seem to refer to as the 'junk band' as there are so many devices that use it. I've previously had problems with my Linksys wireless router and had to reconfigure that to use a specific channel due to interfering networks, but now this problem has raised its ugly head. I'm wondering if there weren't interfering networks and it's maybe something else

So the questions I have are

1. Will the basic level Wi-Spy 2.4i be able to identify things?
    2. How do I tell what's what? I've watched the informational videos and you seem to have to recognise waveforms from a catalogue. Is that correct or have I picked it up wrongly?
    3. Once I find out what it is, is there a way to physically locate the source? Do I pretty much need to wander around my street until I find the strongest signal?
    4. Sadly you can't change any frequency settings on the XBox 360, so even if I find the source, can I do anything about it other than convince a neighbour to stop using 'device x' when I'm trying play games?
    5. Say I get Wi-Spy, what would experienced users suggest as the best way to capture the problem? Timescale, sampling of funtional/not functional, that sort of thing?

Sorry for rambling on a bit, but any information and assistance is very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

This may be a silly question, but have you tried recharging/changed the batteries?

A signal blocking an Xbox 360 Controller would have to be extremely wide band.
    The xbox controllers use a spread spectrum modulation scheme. So a single 'skinny' band signal source (Access Point, Cordless phone, microwave, etc.) probably wouldn't have an effect.

That's just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I've tried that

I've got two controllers and three rechargable battery packs which I've swapped around, plus two Guitar Hero guitars, and DJ Hero decks, all wireless, and they all either work or don't work at the same time

I find it unlikely that a single source like a wireless router or cordless phone should interfere so completely that it blocks all the signal, so maybe I'm looking more at a console issue. I'll need to move it to a different house and see if it still plays up

What sort of thing would have such a wide band signal? Are we talking phone mast in the garden here?

A 2.4GHz jammer would have the required bandwidth.
    Also, a HIGH power Bluetooth might be able to do it.
    A wireless sound system could do it.

Take a look at: http://www.metageek.net/recordings

It will give you an idea of the kinds of things that could block it and what you will see from a Wi-Spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium007 View Post

1. Will the basic level Wi-Spy 2.4i be able to identify things?
    2. How do I tell what's what? I've watched the informational videos and you seem to have to recognise waveforms from a catalogue. Is that correct or have I picked it up wrongly?
    3. Once I find out what it is, is there a way to physically locate the source? Do I pretty much need to wander around my street until I find the strongest signal?
    4. Sadly you can't change any frequency settings on the XBox 360, so even if I find the source, can I do anything about it other than convince a neighbour to stop using 'device x' when I'm trying play games?
    5. Say I get Wi-Spy, what would experienced users suggest as the best way to capture the problem? Timescale, sampling of funtional/not functional, that sort of thing?
    1. Yes the 2.4i will work fine for you.
    2. The 2.4i will not have the wave forms built in like Chanalyzer 3 does, but for all of us in the forum, I think if you posted some pictures, we'd be happy to help with what we can.
    3. Yes. You will need to track the signal by its amplitude level. I'd leave the timeframe at 2 or 3 minutes while walking around. This is assuming the signal is constant, but it sounds like it isn't. If the signal is intermittent it may take you a while to find the culprit.
    4. Is this an apartment complex? How close are your neighbors? I'd be pretty surprised if it was your neighbors, but I wouldn't rule out that possibility.
    5. Well, set the laptop near the xbox where the problem is occurring, and be sure to do it when the problem occurs. Before you turn the xbox on, take a screenshot after letting it capture for about 5-10 minutes. Lock the timeframe at 5 or 10 minutes, or restart chanalyzer. Turn on any wireless device you can think of around the house. Start a download. Stream some multimedia. Watch how your 802.11 signal can change. Start the microwave. Turn on any cordless phones. Turn off the wireless devices and see if you can isolate the xbox wireless signals and troubleshoot the xbox interference.

If the device isn't your own, then you can talk to the neighbors. We've had some MetaGeek users tell everyone in the complex to move their APs to different channels. If you've got the know-how, see if you can plan it all out to make it optimal for all.

Here is what an xbox 360 wireless controller looks like in the 2.4GHz band. It is a FHSS Device so read up on that a little too. These are difficult to identify in the 2.4GHz band as you can tell in the image below.

Now look what happens when you through in ONE 802.11g downloading a large file:

I hope that helps to give you an idea about what can be going on.

The link to show an Xbox 360 is broken