Thread: inSSIDer data discrepancies?

Question inSSIDer data discrepancies?

I am a Newbee at this, but I had some concerns about InSSIDer after reading about it in the Wild Wi-Fi article (March 2010, CPU magazine) and then installing it. I am using a Dell notebook with WinXP and a Dell wireless N, 1505 card. Our home router is a Netgear WNDR3700 that is capable and set for both wireless N, 2.5 and 5 GHz. Several things don't seem to work about InSSIDer, so I wondered why? First using the 5GHz graph, at least one of the channels is simply wrong and others (>=149) don't show up at all. My router, the Dell Utility, and a Buffalo ethernet converter all agree and have the channel the same, but InSSIDer can't distinguish this actual channel 40 from reporting it to be channel 38 on the right hand plot. Also channel 157 (termed the best for 5GHz by Netgear) doesn't even show up on the right hand graph, but the signal itself can be monitored on the left hand plot. Another concern is that the speeds are listed as 54, pretty much for everything. But my router, the Dell Utility, and a Buffalo ethernet converter all agree and have the max speeds as 300 (or 130, etc). Is this difference because mine is a wireless N? Can InSSIDer only see G(A) signals?

2. Default

Yes, essentially inSSIDer can only accurately report 802.11a/b/g. We can graph N networks, but there is no official support in it yet.

Question inSSIDer impact on a broadband speed test?

Trent: Thanks for your reply; that explains alot. You ended your comment with "yet". Is a revision something being considered or underway to extend inSSIDer to N networking?

Another question. Our broadband access is through cable; we had some cable speed issues early on that are well resolved now and they can be monitored here: http://speedtest.bajabroadband.com/ . But I noticed something strange that started coincidently after downloading, installing, and using inSSIDer. My Dell Vostro started giving me half the speeds I was expecting to receive for our broadband. (I'm actually trying to work out the optimal wireless channels and signals for a Roku unit). Moreover, this speed test was not smooth as normal, but very jerky in response. I thought my Dell 1505N wireless card was acting up, but have resolved the issue after much consternation by comparison with other ethernet versus wireless computers. I discovered that this half speed comes only when I have inSSIDer running (actually just scanning) on my notebook. Any ideas why? This signal disruption is as reliable as snow this winter. Might this behavior occur consequent to the 802.11a/b/g networking limitation too? Thanks ahead for your consideration.

The half-speeds happen when inSSIDer is scanning because for a WiFi card to scan, it must hop to all the channels and check for activity, leaving the one the AP is on and disrupting the transfer. When not scanning, the WiFi card stays on a single channel, thus you get better performance.