Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't find GPS???

Default Try this version

Could you try this http://tyler.anairo.com/dl.php?id=4.1.1.2.8.0423gpsd version and post the output of the console?

It should help with figuring out the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Could you try this http://tyler.anairo.com/dl.php?id=4.1.1.2.8.0423gpsd version and post the output of the console?

It should help with figuring out the issue.
    I'd gladly try to -- but Windows thinks that's a zip folder and says it's corrupt.

Code:
    [Window Title]
    Compressed (zipped) Folders Error

[Content]
    Windows cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:\Users\Matthew Miller\Desktop\inSSIDer_1.2.8.0423_GPS_debug.zip' is invalid.

[OK]
    What am I supposed to be getting in this?

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller7 View Post
    I'd gladly try to -- but Windows thinks that's a zip folder and says it's corrupt.

Code:
    [Window Title]
    Compressed (zipped) Folders Error

[Content]
    Windows cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:\Users\Matthew Miller\Desktop\inSSIDer_1.2.8.0423_GPS_debug.zip' is invalid.

[OK]
    What am I supposed to be getting in this?
    Um, what is the size of the zip file? It should to be around 2.3MB. It's a GPS debug build of inSSIDer, it will output what's going on with the GPS to the console.

Trent/Tyler, you can fill in the gap (Im too slack to look up the answer from last time).

In the NEMA Packets there are all sorts of different packets. More then on of those "commands" has location data in it. You may find that the GPS itself is fine, but insider is not seeing the NEMA packet needed.

eg:
    $GPGLL - Geographic Position Lat/Long and Time.
    $GPGGA - Global Positioning System Fix Data

So each one will have some position data, but may not be sent from the GPS. I have seen some gps units that by default dont send the commond insider needs, but could be setup to send those other packets.

If you connect to the gps using a terminal progam (like putty), could you grab the text and post it so I can see what commands its sending.

Trent/Tyler, could you confirm the command you use to get the location data from.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Um, what is the size of the zip file? It should to be around 2.3MB. It's a GPS debug build of inSSIDer, it will output what's going on with the GPS to the console.
    Strange, just tried downloading again today and it worked!

Code:
    inSSIDer  starting up
    Form load
    GPS - InitializeThread()
    GPS - ResetPort()
    GPS - Port is enabled
    GPS - Initialization of port successful
    GPS - GPS thread start
    GPS - reader method
    GPS - no data was received, give up
    GPS - ClosePort()
    Preferences form load - loading settings
    GPS support is : Enabled
    Avalible Com ports:
    COM3
    COM5
    COM4
    COM6

Selected params:
    Selected port : COM4
    Selected baud rate : 4800
    Selected data bits : 8
    Selected stop bits : One
    Selected flow control : None
    Selected parity : None
    GPS support is : Enabled
    GPS - InitializeThread()
    GPS - ResetPort()
    GPS - Port is enabled
    GPS - Initialization of port successful
    GPS - GPS thread start
    GPS - reader method
    GPS - no data was received, give up
    GPS - ClosePort()
    GPS - TerminateThread()
    GPS - ClosePort()
    There's the output of the debug build console you asked for. As I said before, I never see "Port opened" on my phone's log like it does for PuTTY.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Trent/Tyler, you can fill in the gap (Im too slack to look up the answer from last time).

In the NEMA Packets there are all sorts of different packets. More then on of those "commands" has location data in it. You may find that the GPS itself is fine, but insider is not seeing the NEMA packet needed.

eg:

So each one will have some position data, but may not be sent from the GPS. I have seen some gps units that by default dont send the commond insider needs, but could be setup to send those other packets.

If you connect to the gps using a terminal progam (like putty), could you grab the text and post it so I can see what commands its sending.

Trent/Tyler, could you confirm the command you use to get the location data from.

Cheers
    Here's the output I get opening the appropriate COM port in PuTTY:
    Code:
    (removed)
    Also, if anyone else has a Windows Mobile device and wants to try and replicate the problem, here's the program I'm using to pipe GPS data to the bluetooth port: GPS2Blue v1.9
    Last edited by mmiller7; 06-01-2010 at 04:46 AM.

At a quick look at the NEMA data, it looks fine to me.

I downloaded the software for my Windows Mobile (to have a play). I have not got it to work at all yet.

On the Windows Mobile side, what settings did you have for the GPS Com port and the bluetooth comm port.

I expext the GPS Com port is the com port on the phone to talk to the GPS, the default was COM2.
    The Bluetooth com port was 7, but only said "waiting" when on com4.

Using windows Vista, I had setup the pair and had a Com11 to blue tooth serial port. When I connect to it, it seems happy, but the Mobile still said waiting.

So at the moment with my test, I have no comms yet.... any hints ...

At a quick look at the NEMA data, it looks fine to me.

I downloaded the software for my Windows Mobile (to have a play). I have not got it to work at all yet.

On the Windows Mobile side, what settings did you have for the GPS Com port and the bluetooth comm port.

I expext the GPS Com port is the com port on the phone to talk to the GPS, the default was COM2.
    The Bluetooth com port was 7, but only said "waiting" when on com4.

Using windows Vista, I had setup the pair and had a Com11 to blue tooth serial port. When I connect to it, it seems happy, but the Mobile still said waiting.

So at the moment with my test, I have no comms yet.... any hints ...
    Yeah, it's a bit difficult to set up and took me about 3 days to get working.

First off, you have to figure out what port your phone's GPS is on. My HTC Touch Pro2 it's COM4, I think the Samsung Omnia i910 was COM8. My best suggestion for figuring this out is use another program (like Google Maps or a geocaching basic GPS) and start picking them. If you google search you might find some suggestions of where to begin faster. Port speed will probably be 4800 or 9600 -- both seem to work on mine.

Once you have that set, you need to determine the port for the computer. On Windows Mobile 6.5 look under Settings > Bluetooth > Options > Advanced > Serial Ports. Mine shows "COM1 Incoming Serial Port". This is what it "listens" on for connections from the computer.

Now you need to determine the COM port on the computer software. Open your bluetooth devices menu in the Windows control panel. Now right-click your phone and click "Properties". There should be a "Services" tab, click that and wait about 30 seconds for it to display. One of the ports should display "Bluetooth Serial Port" and that's the COM port you need to try and open with the application (e.g. PuTTY)

Hope that helps...if you can get GPS2Blue set up maybe you'll have more luck troubleshooting this issue.

EDIT: I don't think this matters, but I have Bluetooth Active Sync available, though I haven't tried GPS while ActiveSync is running. They may or may not use the same COM port.

OK, I now have bluetooth coms from the HTC to my notebook. I think I had the BT Ports and GPS ports the wrong way round.....

I can see the nmea data in putty on the notebook (and an app I wrote). Next to play with Insider. First go, it would not Hold the GPS settings I selected and said GPS Disabled. I will reboot and ensure I have the latest Insider installed and try again....

See how I go.

Edit :
    Update. It seems that on my computer, the RS232 Com port list as seen by insider is not valid. eg: COM11NJ note the NJ on the end. Is there a reg key or something I can edit/set to the correct comm port and enable flag.

CHeers.
    Last edited by mwalker; 05-18-2010 at 11:08 PM.

My findings so far.

If I connect a real "RS232" port to my computer via a USB - RS232 device, the com port appears correct in the GPS Settings of insider and seem to work ok. The RS232 ports that have been assing via the bluetooth software (windows) do not list the com port correctly and thus will be an invalid port and not used.

The normal usb-rs232 when select holds its settings as expected.

The bluetooth "invlalid listed" do not.
    It seems that when listing the com ports from the bluetooth device it has some weird characters after the comm port name (as if the end of string marker - NULL is missing). As such when selected will be an invalid com port and not work.

I exepect that if I could type in the com port name eg: COM11 into the port selection box (and it was to hold the setting), I think it would work.

I tried to edit the settings file, but it would appear that insider checked if the com port in the settings file was found on the computer. Since, as above, it would not match the string, I assume it decided it was not there and removed it from the list, thus I could not select or use it.

eg:

Cheers
    inSSIDer uses the GPGGA to get the location data.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker
    OK, I now have bluetooth coms from the HTC to my notebook. I think I had the BT Ports and GPS ports the wrong way round.....

I can see the nmea data in putty on the notebook (and an app I wrote). Next to play with Insider. First go, it would not Hold the GPS settings I selected and said GPS Disabled. I will reboot and ensure I have the latest Insider installed and try again....

See how I go.

Edit :
    Update. It seems that on my computer, the RS232 Com port list as seen by insider is not valid. eg: COM11NJ note the NJ on the end. Is there a reg key or something I can edit/set to the correct comm port and enable flag.

CHeers.
    The com port list in inSSIDer is whatever Windows gives it. I've had serial ports look like "CNCAB", although I haven't used inSSIDer with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast