Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't find GPS???

Thanks Tyler. As in both threads, I think the abulity to add a "custom" com port that can be used sould help.

As a side note. I have noticed with this bluetooth-rs232, it can take time for the data to come in. In my testing, I have seen long delays (30-60 seconds). Some times much shorter.

If Insider has a timeout for the gps data, then an option to set this should help.

Cheers.

A quick update on the HTC Bluetooth gps issue.

I have completed several tests and low level com port logs and still have note been able to get insider to see the gps data. (I have sent the info to tyler to have a look at).

In short, I believe the issue is around the RS232 line states.
    Most gps units (and a lot of other equipment now-a-days) do not use any hand shaking. so the DTR/RTS is just ignored. Some equipment that does need it, but does not use it will have a loop back setup on the RTS-CTS and DTR-DSR-DCD.

What I think is happening is the Bluetooth GPS/RS232 comms is waiting for the "software" to tell it it can send data, since handshaking is not been used, it never gets the signal, thus never sends data.

When Putty connected to the port, it sent the signal and got the data.
    Tyler is having a look at it now.
    If we had a way of setting up the loop backs on the gps serial port or telling it not to use handshaking, I think it would work. I had a look at all the settings I could find and could not see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    A quick update on the HTC Bluetooth gps issue.

I have completed several tests and low level com port logs and still have note been able to get insider to see the gps data. (I have sent the info to tyler to have a look at).

In short, I believe the issue is around the RS232 line states.
    Most gps units (and a lot of other equipment now-a-days) do not use any hand shaking. so the DTR/RTS is just ignored. Some equipment that does need it, but does not use it will have a loop back setup on the RTS-CTS and DTR-DSR-DCD.
    Thanks for the update! Hopefully you all will be able to find a way to get this working.

What I think is happening is the Bluetooth GPS/RS232 comms is waiting for the "software" to tell it it can send data, since handshaking is not been used, it never gets the signal, thus never sends data.

When Putty connected to the port, it sent the signal and got the data.
    Tyler is having a look at it now.
    If we had a way of setting up the loop backs on the gps serial port or telling it not to use handshaking, I think it would work. I had a look at all the settings I could find and could not see anything.
    That's interesting. I don't fully understand everything you said but I do remember reading an article that not all bluetooth stacks support serial handshaking. I think it may have been a bluetooth serial dongle but I'm not sure.

Yep some devices/software does, some devices/software does not. The issue I think here is that it does, and we cant put in a loop back wire to keep it happy as its all "non-physical".

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    I exepect that if I could type in the com port name eg: COM11 into the port selection box (and it was to hold the setting), I think it would work.
    In the latest version of inSSIDer you can edit the port name, and removing the alpha character of the port number did the trick. Thanks!

com15w edited to com15

Quote Originally Posted by benwhite View Post
    In the latest version of inSSIDer you can edit the port name, and removing the alpha character of the port number did the trick. Thanks!

com15w edited to com15
    Yep thanks ben. It was, I should have update here (too many threads ). Its been working for a while and tyler sent me a "pre release" for testing.

Hello everyone! I'm also using GPS2Blue with a Windows Mobile and have the exact same problems as mmiler7, all other GPS applications work (OziExplorer, iGO8) but not with inSSIDer version 1 nor 2.

Since I only have Vista I cannot use Netstumbler, so my hands are tied. Thanks in advance!

Default SUCCESS (on Windows)

Ok, I figured out a reliable workaround.

First, follow the directions for using the "HW VSP" program -- BUT simply start a bluetooth ActiveSync session instead of plugging in USB for step 2. I didn't think it could work, but it does!

source: http://users.skynet.be/hofinger/GPS2BlueFAQ.html#USB
    1.On the PC, install HW VSP (version 3.0.23 or newer). Choose the standalone application installation.
    2.Connect the PDA to the PC with an USB cable.
    3.On the PC, run HW VSP.
    ◦In Settings tab: check "TCP Server Mode" and, to avoid unwanted traffic, uncheck "NVT Enabled".
    ◦In Virtual Serial Port tab: set the Port Name (the port to be created on the PC, it must be a free COM port not already used on the PC; for example COM9). Set IP Address to 0.0.0.0 and Port to 31873.
    Note: to accept only data from the PDA, instead of 0.0.0.0, you can put the IP address of the PDA obtained with the "What's my IP" menu item of GPS2Blue.
    ◦Click on Create Com.
    4.On the PDA, run GPS2Blue.
    ◦Set the GPS COM port (it's the COM port that Windows Mobile uses for GPS communication. It depends of your PDA model). You can choose the GID port if available.
    ◦Set the communication Speed of the GPS COM port (depends of your PDA model, usually 4800).
    ◦Check TCP/IP box (and uncheck BT box).
    ◦Click the On button.
    Note: if everything is OK, Bytes: xxx will increase in GPS2Blue and Rx Counter will increase in HW VSP.
    5.On the PC, run your GPS software.
    ◦Set the COM port to the once created by HP VSP (COM9 in our example).
    ◦Set the speed to the once set in GPS2Blue (4800 in our example).
    ◦Start the connection.

Default Future-workaround (Linux)

This is to document the equivelant workaround on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix for me) for the future, in the event that the GPS menus get fixed for Linux inSSIDer.

I can't cite this source because I cobbled it together from many places, none of which were quite what I needed.

1. install "socat" from package manager (ubuntu: sudo apt-get install socat)
    2. connected my phone to my netbook (via USB since I don't have a bluetooth netbook)
    3. start "socat" monitoring for gps2blue with the command `socat tcp4-listen:31873 pty&`
    4. launch GPS2Blue in TCP/IP mode
    5. figure out which port it's on (mine was /dev/pts/2) -- try `ls /dev/pts` to see the choices and then start guessing.
    6. see if you're getting some NEMA data by running `cat /dev/pts/X` where X is the number. Press CTRL+C to stop when you find it.
    7. now you can select that device for your GPS!

Disclaimer: the alpha version of inSSIDer doesn't let you select /dev/pts for the source...hopefully they let us type the string some time soon...

Have you tried the latest version of inSSIDer? The latest on the web sit is 2.0.7.0126 and can be downloaded from the following link.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast