Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GlobalSat BU-353 USB

Unhappy GlobalSat BU-353 USB

Hello,

After the recommendation of the MetaGeek team, I purchased the GlobalSat BU-353 USB device. Could someone on the team post a video or instructions on how to get InSSIDer to work with the device.

Once the drivers were installed on my Studio XPS 1640 running Windows 7 with 8GB Ram, the GPSInfo utility is able to pick up and detect the satellites. Unfortunately, every instance of enabling InSSIDer disables the GPS funtionality, please see attachment.

Interestingly enough, I can create *.GPX files which Google Earth can read, albeit incorrectly. What I found out is the *.GPX files detected all of the access points in my area listing them by SSID and Mac address - but there aren't any coordinate information attached.

Whatever anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InSSIDer_scanoutside.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	96   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPSInfo_scan.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	97  
    Last edited by wjones3; 04-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Which version of inSSIDer are you using?

3. Default

It looks like he has the current one (flat tops).

Getting the GlobalSat GPS video tutorial

The main thing I think you might be missing, is that you will need to convert the GPX file to KML for it to work in Google Earth. But let's get your GPS working first.

Well, in the inSSIDer screenshot the statusbar says "GPS: Disabled". Was GPS enabled when you took the screenshot?

Default Bu-353

Good day,

Yes, I have the latest version of InSSiDer. The GPS section was checked to enable its functionality as well as the generation of the logs. The logs were created but when I imported them into Google Earth, it only listed the SSIDs with Mac addresses with an invalid longitudinal and latitudinal information.

I am in Santa Barbara and the points showed up in the middle of the Atlantic somewhere.

6. Default

Did you import a KML file or the GPX file?

I will have to get back with you on that, I don't remember exactly. Give me until tomorrow to answer your question.

Thanks.

Trent,

In answer to your question, the format that InSSIDer copied the imported file is a GPX file. Hope that helps.

9. Default

Well, like I said earlier, google earth needs a KML file.

Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately, after exporting the GPX file to the KML format, I do get folders under the "Temporary Places" heading. Only, there isn't any longitudinal/latitudinal (misspelled) information showing up on the map itself.

Trying this on several occassions and following a YouTube tutorial on how to configure InSSIDer to work the GPS unit, no luck. InSSIDer states the GPS is disabled. I have uninstalled then re-installed the application thinking there might be a corrupt file or something but no change.

Let me know what else you would like me to do. I realize you are quite busy and I don't want to be a bother. If there are additional resources I can use to assist in the problem, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Since the BU-353 was highly recommended, I figured it would be a simple issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast