Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GlobalSat BU-353 USB

For some reason it's actually talking to the GPS device today. Turned on my PC, plugged in the unit, started, inssider, enabled GPS and I got this:

Then I ran Tyler's debug version and got the same statusbar text and the following console output by starting scanning, enabling GPS, letting it run for a minute, and then disabling GPS (I've condensed the many duplicate lines with "..."):

Code:
    inSSIDer  starting up
    Form load
    Checking for updates...Complete
    GPS - TerminateThread()
    GPS - ClosePort()
    Preferences form load - loading settings
    GPS support is : Disabled
    Avalible Com ports:
    COM3
    COM4
    COM16
    COM12
    COM14
    COM13
    COM15
    COM11
    COM10

Selected params:
    Selected port : None
    Selected baud rate : 4800
    Selected data bits : 8
    Selected stop bits : One
    Selected flow control : None
    Selected parity : None
    Avalible Com ports:
    COM3
    COM4
    COM16
    COM12
    COM14
    COM13
    COM15
    COM11
    COM10

Selected params:
    Selected port : None
    GPS support is : Enabled
    GPS - InitializeThread()
    GPS - ResetPort()
    GPS - Port is enabled
    GPS - Initialization of port successful
    GPS - GPS thread start
    GPS - reader method
    GPS - recieved data from the GPS!
    GPS support is : Enabled
    Avalible Com ports:
    COM3
    COM4
    COM16
    COM12
    COM14
    COM13
    COM15
    COM11
    COM10

Selected params:
    Selected port : COM16
    GPS - TerminateThread()
    GPS - ClosePort()
    GPS - IO Exception!
    GPS - ClosePort()
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fix_lost.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	123  
    Last edited by mmseng; 04-26-2010 at 02:35 PM.

So it wasn't working, but now it just works? Very strange.

Could be that before I was having the problem that DocJ mentioned about the unit's app not being closed. This time I happened to run inssider after a clean reboot.

Sooo, is there something I'm doing wrong to make it get the "FIX LOST" message? Because I still can't get it to pull any data.

Default Bu-353

DocJ seems to have the fix. If you've been running GPS-Info, close it, reboot and start InSSIDer. This works every time for me. As the BU-353 documentation says, it is important that you close any program using the GPS before starting another one. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you how to close GPS-Info. I would suggest not using GPS-Info unless you have to and if you use it, reboot before trying any other program.

Smile GPS Information update

Good day,

I have removed the GPS Information utility from my Windows 7 Ultimate machine, rebooted the machine, opened INSSIDer and voila' GPS is enabled.

Now the issue is in every attempt to export to a KML file, INSSIDer crashes. I have sent an e-mail with the diagnostic report:

[Message]
    Could not find file 'C:\Users\blackcosteau\Documents\_Data\InSSIDer\Lo gging\2010-4-9_15-55-25.gpx'.

[Version]

[WinVer]
    Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0

[Platform]
    AMD64

[StackTrace]
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\blackcosteau\Documents\_Data\InSSIDer\Lo gging\2010-4-9_15-55-25.gpx'.
    File name: 'C:\Users\blackcosteau\Documents\_Data\InSSIDer\Lo gging\2010-4-9_15-55-25.gpx'
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
    at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
    at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate(Objec t xmlResolver)
    at System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.Exe cuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run(CompressedSta ck compressedStack, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at Inssider.KmlExporterForm.loadGpxFile(String fileName, Int32 index)
    at Inssider.KmlExporterForm.loadInputFiles()
    at Inssider.KmlExporterForm.ExportButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I shall make another attempt to see what the results and let everyone know. Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

Follow-up. I erased all of the log files generated by INSSIDer, restarted my computer, and tried exporting all data to KML via the application only to have the app crash again.

It is good to know that the GPS is working without any issues. Now all that remains is for this issue to be resolved and I will be very happy.

My last scan produced a GPX file and I was able to view the data and manually export the information to a KML file.

Any ideas?

Well, the error looks like the GPX file it's looking for isn't there. Does the file "C:\Users\blackcosteau\Documents\_Data\InSSIDer\Lo gging\2010-4-9_15-55-25.gpx" exist?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mmseng View Post

This looks like the GPS is working, but it isn't seeing any satellite, probably because you're indoors. If it says, "Fix Lost," that means it is communicating fine with the GPS.

Smile

Hello again,

Initially there was a GPX file. I looked at the path and the file was there. However, since then I have cleared all of the logs and continue to get a similar error. GPS works fine, BTW.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast