Thread: 2.488 GHz and upwards

Post 2.488 GHz and upwards

I am a new user of Wi-Spy 2.4x and broadly I find the information I need but I see in many physical locations a very solid, but low level signal in the part of the spectrum peaking around 2.488 GHz and extending a little above 2.500 Ghz. I would appreciate any information that identifies this signal. None of provide signatures appear to help. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Martin

2. Default

It is hard to really guess, but I think it is similar to the recording I am attaching.

This is something Larry from Internetwork Defense identified for us. It appears his Asus mini was putting out the signal. Using another computer, he brought the asus mini closer to the Wi-Spy. You can see when he did this in the spectral view.

Is this similar to what you are seeing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asusmini - odd signal.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	129  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default 2.488 GHz and Upwards

Hi Trent, very many thanks for your fast reply, I had considered the possibility of the host or other PCs but I cannot find any relationship to any of the clock speeds and harmonics that fit this. I have also tried to isolate all other devices (mice, Bluetooth, mobile phones etc) and indeed now at very separate geographical location and still the same result, the only difference is that originally at a very rural location there was little other WiFi activity and none of the red garbage around 2.460 GHz the JPEG attached is in an urban location in different country!. The image and recording you provided does not match the signature of what I see. I have attached an image from Chanalizer as you will see the area that I am interested in is the dense RED area starting around 2.488 GHz its is a solid wide band signal with no evidence of frequency hopping. I have also tried using Wi-Spy without the antenna attached to be sure it was not an internal (to Wi-Fi 2.4x) spurious signal but indeed it is external. None of the Metageek provided recordings seem to indicate similar activity. This is not a problem, but simple curiosity. Thanks for any further ideas you or others can offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi-Spy 2_4x.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	131  

4. Default

After looking at the image you attached, I believe these are the same thing. The recording I attached is actually scanning the 2.4 and 2.5GHz bands in order to capture the entire signal. It starts at about the same location.

I wonder if it has something to do with a WiMax enabled computer... But yes, there aren't any recordings in our library that match this signal.
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 05-13-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Default 2.488 GHz and upwards

Hi Trent, Again very many thanks for your prompt reply. The machine I am using this week is a Dell Inspiron 1010 (Mini NetBook) This is my "light weight" traveling machine. There is no WiMax adaptor nor indeed, here in Budapest, any WiMax that I am aware of, but upon my return to the UK next week I will carry out some further tests with a conventional Dell Laptop and a small selection of desk top PCs with this machine and others turned off in sequence and let you know the results ... probably in about a week from now.
    Thanks for your assistance in identifying this spurious signal ... having looked at the spectrum around WiFi and I suspect the entire spectrum from "DC to Light" is similarly crowded I feel great sympathy for the radio astronomers seeking a locations that offers a quiet spectrum!!!

Default 2.488 GHz and upwards

Hi Trent, Now that I am back hrom my trip and have access to other PCs (desk and laptops) it does seem that, as you initially suspected, the detected signal is from the Netbook PC. "interesting" that the spectum of the signal seems not related to the Netbook "main" or other internal clock frequencies ... just one of those mysteries.

Manythanks for your help to identify this.

Kind regards

7. Default

Awesome. Thank you for reporting back to the community.