Thread: Network Adaptors a,b,g,n

Default Network Adaptors a,b,g,n

It appears that inSSIDer does not report on what type (speed) the network adapter is. It can figure out the manufacturer, would it be difficult for the developers to add the adapter type?

That info could be useful while browsing other networks

Just a thought

FYI the manufacturer ID is determined by the first 6 digits (3 bytes) of the mac address. They are unique for each manufacturer.

5 GHz band
    802.11a is only on the 5 GHz band and is obsolete. It has a maximum signalling rate of 54 mbps.

802.11n on the 5 GHz band is rare and can be differentiated from 802.11a by the speed that is typically a multiple of 150 mbps according to the number of streams supported.

2.4 GHz band
    802.11b is only on the 2.4 GHz band and is obsolete. It has a maximum signalling rate of 11 mbps. In addition the wave form has a rounded top.

802.11g is only on the 2.4 GHz band. It has a maximum signalling rate of 54 mbps.

802.11n on the 2.4 GHz band has a maximum signalling rate greater than 54 mbps.
    Another readily viewed identifier to separate n from g is channel bonding that is shown by inSSIDer.

The bottom line is that one can tell which spec is in use with a quick glance at the graph. Another column of data would be redundant and take up valuable display space.

I just purchased the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router. The 5 GHz channel is shown as an option on my LG TV but it does not show up on the InSSIDer 5 GHz channel. I have a Sony S-Series laptop with an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 driver.

I'm wondering why it is not being displayed?

inSSIDer reports access points and wireless routers, not clients.
    Last edited by ua549; 02-14-2013 at 10:10 AM.