Thread: "Please make sure you have selected an 802.11 interface" ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation "Please make sure you have selected an 802.11 interface" ???

I don't know much about computers or wifi connections, so bear with me. I was on the Skyhook website trying to register my wifi access point so I wouldn't get the "Unable to find location" error message on my iPod anymore. It needed me to put in a MAC address and told me to download inSSIDer to find my MAC address. So I downloaded the software and all was good until I hit "Start Scanning" and got the error message "Unable to use selected interface. Please make sure you have selected an 802.11 interface." What does this mean? How can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Which Interface did you select from the dropdown box?

Default Why?

Why do you need inSSIDer to find your MAC address? I have seen this in several places and it is totally unnecessary to use an application such as this for a minor task.

Simplest and quickest way is to use the application that manages your wireless connection.

Open the application - for Example Intel PRO/set or Windows WiFi catcher & Wireless Manager, select your network and it will give you the something like:

Physical Address or BSSID or MAC : 11-22-33-44-55-66

That is your MAC address.
    Last edited by polchraine; 07-27-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Brain malfunction ...

4. Default

I believe they are trying to use a Geo location service, which has all of the AP Mac addresses logged in a database tied with location.