Thread: What do you like/dislike about the Chanalyzer 3 Signature Sidebar?

Default What do you like/dislike about the Chanalyzer 3 Signature Sidebar?

We're working on improving on the concept of the signature overlays and signature sidebar that we had in Chanalyzer 3, and looking for input on what you like/dislike about the Chanalyzer 3 version as well as any other ideas you have on signatures in Chanalyzer 4.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thumbs up Signatures - first! ..Others to come...

I'd be happy to give a go at this one.. However, I apologize for not completing the last thread of answers to Trent's questions.. Chanalyzer 4, features, & the Wi-Spy 900x ?

However, it seems we have now moved past those "would be answers" with the threads after it. So, I will continue to elaborate (and hopefully others will join me) in what I liked and dislike about Chanalyzer 3 & 4.

First, while the original question is regarding signatures, and I agree that they are really only used a few times for a b or g access point, there are a lot of new people using your product that will not have had the pleasure to have learned these previously. There remain many weird signatures, like the xbox 360 or a Panasonic Cordless phone vs. a regular cordless "peak". These signatures still become useful to the "novice" while, learning how to use your device. It definitely takes time to learn all the different types if signatures, and it is just a little help in the right direction.

That all said, it would be great to be able to download "already recorded" Sigs from Metageek (this was promised, I forget the thread), and not just from the standard 2400-2483 & 5Ghz range. Example: What does WiMax look like in 2.5GHz or the 5GHz range? One is supported by the DBx and one is "out of range" of the typical device. What is the bandwidth it takes. What does an RFID device look like at 902MHz (now I would really like to start seeing some recordings/sigs of 900MHz devices as there are currently NONE in Chanalyzer 3.

While I will bet that you are thinking to yourself, "this is a WiFi Primarily only device", I would note that many, many other devices work in this range. What does DFS look like to someone in the 5600MHz range and how do they identify it. What about Doppler radar near airports and how to recognize it and therefore, to avoid it! How about a personal weather station and how often it transmits, what would it look like, on either 900 or 2.4?

See, while the WiSpy was introduced as a WiFi spectrum analyzer and network management utility to avoid overlap of Access points, it really is SIMPLY a Spectrum Analyzer. And as with any SA, you can see much more than it may have originally been designed for. With that as the case, I will reiterate the members here wanting/demanding the ability to use the device with specifically entered frequencies. Anywhere within the ability of the device. (put a disclaimer on those freq's-we don't care) we NEED to be able to specify: I want to look at 2390-2510MHz in 50KHz steps with a resolution very high of 63KHz. Currently Chanalyzer 4 looks all blurry and odd, kinda what Chanalyzer lite looks like, which make it not very useful but for quick inquiries. However, if someone wants to do a 24-48 hours site survey and see the devices that are affecting something that are only 5-20 KHz wide, they NEED to be able to specify a greater resolution (aka: precision)..

So basically, I like the ability to start and stop at the frequency which I want to. Adjust the step rate & resolution. Without that ability I would not have been able to record the 1st attached image of a vTech 5.8GHz cordless phone running near 5867-68 MHz, (note the 1st and 2nd order harmonics in the image on the right) because it is "Out-of-range" of Chanalyzer's pre-programmed freq's. The second image (pic #2) is what actually lead me to find the device -a recording of 5000-6000MHz range was needed (see pic #2). The base station actually runs at 914 MHz (Pic #3). Once again note the harmonics that have been mistaken for before for usb, another signal, ect here.

While putting the examples on the website is probably easiest, is doesn't really afford the opportunity to use the Spectrum analyzer as it was ment to be used. You have to first go search through ALL of them, and then you may not even find what you are looking for. If it was right next to the display, it would make figuring out that rogue video transmitter at 4940MHz or that NWS Radar unit SO much easier!

And while this may be a little bit out of the regular documentation about the WiSpy's, It would be great to have a document or better yet, a highlighted range of FCC frequency range of all the RF ranges that the WiSpy can see, as I am always looking to figure out what is Cellular (mobile vs. base-tower) and what is public saftey in the 800MHz range, since they split in the middle. If say for instance my 900x could put a highlight over all the HAM Radio Freq's or Cellular freqs right in front of me, (or allow ME to program in where they are, so I can highlight them and have it remember them in the frequency search chart) I would avoid A LOT of looking at the FCC Spectrum map all the time to trying to locate, and put in the start and stop freq. Basically I would also like to be able to specify my OWN ranges and not be limited to the built in ones.

While I realize this may be frowned apon by some, at least give me the option of highlighting something other than WIFI or Zigbee channels- yeesh!. Remember IT's A SPECTRUM ANALYZER not a WiFi analyzer only.

Ok, i'm tired, maybe someone else can continue from here for a bit..

Oxygen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.8 GHz Vtec cordless phone.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5000-6000 MHz scan.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900 MHz Base Station.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	187