Download inSSIDer 2.0 Beta 1
inSSIDer 2.0 is mostly complete and ready for some testing. Here are links to installers:
inSSIDer 2.0 handles 802.11n better (channel bonding, higher data rates, etc. are all displayed correctly), has better GPS support, and adds viewing filters. inSSIDer 2.0 installation does NOT require removing inSSIDer 1.2. Please give it a try and post feedback!
Hi LifeHacker readers
We enjoyed the article too. inSSIDer 2 does not show hidden SSIDs in the way the article makes it sound. It will function the same way inSSIDer 1 did. Thanks for visiting and enjoy inSSIDer!
Last edited by MetaGeek; 09-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Reason: lifehacker comments.
Initial basic comments...
- like combined menubar and Start/Stop. Much neater.
- do not like fonts/ colours of list of networks found. Old one was clearer.
- list does not show small icon of signal strength any more.
- colums sorted no longer display up/down icon
- can you no longer see Time graph and Channel display at same time?
- first time I tried v2 'Start' did not change to 'Stop', and time display was blank, with incorrect times. But I stopped and restarted it and all seems ok now!
- News seems irrelevant, and is always shown on startup.
- no longer displays number of APs on the bottom of the window, which was useful.
Sorry, reading this seems rather negative, but I really do appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to InSIDer!!
Last edited by mavison; 09-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Nice work! just a couple of things:
1. The Vendor field is blank for my TP-Link TD-W8960N. Version 1.2.8.03331 shows it correctly as "TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd." The beta is reporting the vendors of the other APs in range (Belkin, Netcomm, Micro-Star) fine though.
2. I am running 300Mbit N with upper control channel set to 11. The beta is reporting Channel as 11+6. Shouldn't that be 11+7?
Otherwise it's working reliably and I have no problem with the new UI layout.
I miss the print to pdf option that was in the other version. Are you planning on getting rid of that? I think that was one of the best features...
Originally Posted by chiefgeek
Ok, the fonts for most colums are the same. Perhaps it is just the green on black that I find more difficult to read. But you have changed the font for MAC Address, and I find that horrible to read! But it may just be me.
Originally Posted by Tyler
I have also had an error box a couple of times when clicking on 'Start' which said 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. But when I try again it works! If I manage to see any pattern I will post again.
I appreciate it is still in beta, but that is useless if no-one comments!
Thanks for all the comments, we will fix the MAC address font and vendor stuff.
Some things I noticed:
1. 2.0 requires me to switch to WZC. 1.2.8.0331 does not.
2. Because the 1.2 time curve starts from the left, I can capture the graph annotation along with a short curve. I have to generate a whole 2.0 curve to get it. Example: http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/wifiyagi.htm.
3. I prefer the time curve interpolation in 1.2. Even better would be stair steps that reflect the actual data.
4. Ctrl+Shift+C did not seem to copy the time curve.