Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: inSSIDer 2: Compatible Wi-Fi Adapters

I really love Inssider and I use it all the time with my Netbook at client locations. I am really looking to install Inssider on a tablet of some kind. Does anyone know if Inssider will work on the New Microsoft Surface running Windows 8 RT? Or are there any plans for a version for Android or any other tablets or smart Phones?

There is an inSSIDer for Android currently available on Google Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Waytron View Post
    I really love Inssider and I use it all the time with my Netbook at client locations. I am really looking to install Inssider on a tablet of some kind. Does anyone know if Inssider will work on the New Microsoft Surface running Windows 8 RT? Or are there any plans for a version for Android or any other tablets or smart Phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    There is an inSSIDer for Android currently available on Google Play.
    Yup, and it runs great on the Google Nexus 7 (which is $200 brand-new, a steal!). As far as Windows 8 RT support goes, I do know that the developers have a couple of them. Stay tuned!
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

First the old question: Edimax EW-7733UnD - Edimax confirmed, Channels 36 to 48 only on 5GHz.

Then, two new adaptors joined my collection, both work with InSSider (2.0.7 & 2.1.5)on Win7:
    1.: TP-Link TL-WDN3200 Dualband 300MBps, an RT2870-chip-based USB-adaptor. Sensitivity is decent,
    frequency range is limited, it covers CH1-13 on 2.4G, 36 to 64 & 149 to 165 on 5G. Speed is good,
    connection is reliable. AP-mode capable and working, cheap, ca. 18 Euros.
    Verdict: A decent adapter for its intended use.

2.: DeLock 88540 Dualband 150MBps, RTL8192DU-based USB-Adaptor. Sensitivity is low on 2.4G,
    directional pattern, frequency range is limited, it covers CH1-11 on 2.4G, 36 to 64 & 149 to 165 on 5G.
    Speed is mediocre, connection is reliable. (Supplied driver from March 2011)

Now the bad things: To get all 13 channels on 2.4G, it is necessary to update the driver,
    which in turn removes the channels 52 to 64 & 149 to 165. That's with the driver
    from the Realtek-homepage dated July 2012.
    In addition, the AP-mode simply doesn't work with both drivers, settings are ignored,
    a short blip on 2.4G CH1 is all there is.
    Seriously?!?
    Realtek seriously needs to get its shit together on that one.
    My verdict here is a clear: Don't buy.

A general word about 5GHz: I am under the impression, that more and more manufacturers avoid the channels 52 to 140
    to avoid the costs of implementing DFS/TPC. While my D-Link DIR-815 WLAN-Router still works from CH36 to 140,
    newer versions stop at CH48. Same for the Dualband-Range from TP-Link. While congestion isn't yet a problem
    on 5GHz, with 802.11AC it will become one in the future with its 80MHz wide channels.
    Last edited by Nohab; 12-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Happy to report that DeLorme Earthmate BT-20 GPS (Bluetooth) works perfectly with inSSIDer under Windows 8. Windows configures 2 com ports. Just pick the one that works.

I'm running inSSIDer Version 2.1.6.1395 on Win XP on a ThinkPad T420 using an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205.
    When I select the wireless adapter and click start the application says inSSIDer encontered a problem and needed to close.

** Please provide a brief description of what was happening immediately prior to this error **

[Description]

[Message]
    Index was outside the bounds of the array.

[Version]

[WinVer]
    Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

[Platform]
    x86

[StackTrace]
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at MetaGeek.IoctlNdis.IoctlNdis.GetSecurityString(Ndi sWlanBssidEx bssidItem) in IoctlNdis\IoctlNdis.cs:line 286
    at inSSIDer.Scanning.Interfaces.NdisScanInterface.Get NetworkData() in MetaScanner\Scanning\Interfaces\NdisScanInterface. cs:line 111
    at inSSIDer.Scanning.NetworkScannerN.ScanThreadFunc() in MetaScanner\Scanning\NetworkScannerN.cs:line 241
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context( Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123