Thread: a new bee, sorry. Why myRSSI is JUMPING ?

Default a new bee, sorry. Why myRSSI is JUMPING ?

The line describing my signal strength is changing, abrupt, from top to down and back again. it goes -50 for 15sec and than drops down rash to -100 stays down for a 10-15 sec and goes back again.

As I had cable connection I thought its a bad cable. now I see that the SIGNAL jumps...
    can smbdy somehow simply xplain

thx
    thx a lot
    m.

P.S.
    ...and where can I read how to Record(print) the data from inSSIDer and show it hire in the forum so the others to see the Graphix
    Last edited by mirski; 11-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.

With inSSIDer 2, you can right-click on a single graph(in your case, the time graph) and click "Copy to clipboard". Then you have to paste the image into a photo editor/viewer (I use Irfanview image viewer) and save it to a file. Now that you have an image file, you can attach the image to a forum post.

As for the RSSI jumping, we've seen that before, but never figured out why. It could be the access point's radio dying (Let's hope not ).

Cool

thank u.
    I got the princip of copying an image, but the files Im ending with are 1,20 some even 0.80mbt but NOTHING can beat the allowed 19,0 Kbt.... I cant get the image soooo smal. But you got the Idea...

anywhow.
    u say "I have no idea.... "
    hm. a hard one?
    or if radio is dying it does this the whole summer. cose Ive seen this jumpy line already a months ago as my task manager was /still/ showing the NETactivity...
    back than, I blamed the dog of a friend who chew the f..tasty cable. the cable look pretty bad but I had link.
    Now, as I /FINALY/ resurected my WLAN card. and I have CABLE free net .... the signal jumps again!

Its NOT a PROBLEM !!! Im just curious and I hope it does not get worse.

thanx a lot 4 the help
    Last edited by mirski; 11-10-2010 at 05:54 PM.

RSSI is what the receiver thinks the signal is. Since insider is using your wifi card, the RSSI will be from ther perspective of the wifi card.

The way I see it is there are 3 key areas that can affect this reading.
    a) The actual Power of the Transmitter goes up, thus the receivers RSSI goes up
    b) The receivers reference goes down, thus the RSSI will apear to go up
    c) The driver simply mis-reports the RSSI from the card.

Keep in mind that a signal will blead to the channels either side. So if you read the beacon for an AP on challen 6, while you are on channel 5 you will get all the data BUT the signal will be much lower, thus you get a lower reading, then on channel 6 will get the "more" correct higher reading.

At a guess, if your wifi card goes into sleep mode, or did not speed enough time on the correct channel in the scan, it may not get enough time to get the correct stable reading.

If you could some how lock the card on the one channel (ie: no scan) it could help work out the cause; But windows wont really let you do it. When ever I have see the spikes etc, I use the AirPCap and lock it to the channel, then record its RSSI and see if it jumps and it never seems to.

I have the same problem on the most recent version 2.0.6.12xx (something). And I suspect the jumping have to do with inSSIDer is probably not recognizing different "ghost" AP's with the same SSID. So from one you get a weaker signal and then when the "scan" reaches the second, you get a sudden jump to a stronger signal etc etc...

I'd say it's abug in the handling of "hidden" AP's in the scanning module.

Quote Originally Posted by vonankh View Post
    I have the same problem on the most recent version 2.0.6.12xx (something). And I suspect the jumping have to do with inSSIDer is probably not recognizing different "ghost" AP's with the same SSID. So from one you get a weaker signal and then when the "scan" reaches the second, you get a sudden jump to a stronger signal etc etc...

I'd say it's abug in the handling of "hidden" AP's in the scanning module.
    I agree this can cause the issue. I have seen (via the AirPCap card) that the RSSI will be low when the AP is seen off channel (eg: lets say the AP is on 6, but the AirPCap is looking at 5 or 7). The beacon packets hold the channel the AP is on, so you can ignore the signal when not scanning on the correct channel.

I think the issue with insider is that its using the Windows API, so you are limited to what it reports.

Tyler, when using the API do you get the Scan Channel and the Channel reported in the beacon ?

It seems to get all 'tagged' parameters (as seen in wireshark) This includes: SSID parameter set, supported rates, current channel, extended rates, HT parameters, etc.
    I think IoctlNDIS will get the same amount of info.