Thread: Portable Power For Site Surveys?

Default Portable Power For Site Surveys?

When I do a survey, I power my AP with a portable PoE injector and bring an extra battery for my laptop. I'm at the point where I need a better solution because my surveys are becoming battery killers.

What do you guys use or recommend for portable power?

Thanks in Advance!

Richard

Well it depends on where the site survey is. If you are outside and with a car, you could use a cigarette lighter adapter or a power supply for the laptop working off the 12v car port. Or you could get a ac/dc converter and hook it up to a separate battery (like a car or motorcycle battery in your car. (properly mounted somewhere of course) You could probably get well over 6-8-12 hours off a 12v car battery. I'm not sure on the motorcycle one.

If you need to walk around you could get a sealed gel or deep-cycle battery that are used in APC UPS units, either converter or 12v power supply and a cheap (or good) backpack and set it up so the battery is contained in a separate compartment and the electronics/converter is in a different one. then hook the computer up to that. Use a simple car charger (smart black and decker charger) to recharge when you are all done. Of course actual usage time will vary based on many factors.

I've done site survey's with 2 laptops, 2 wispy's, ap, poe, 100' extension cord, ect.. and ran off an older car battery with an ac/dc converter for well over 12+ hours.

Oxygen

Good tips. Thank you!

Default Survey Battery Pack

I use a survey battery pack, below is a link to the current model

http://www.terra-wave.com/shop/80211...ck-p-1535.html

I know this is an old post but I thought you (or someone else) could still benefit from other ideas.

Depending on the amount of power you need, you could build a small battery pack with one (or more) Sealed Lead Acid (gel) batteries. I built myself a solar power supply this way, I hooked up a 12 amp-hour 12 volt battery to a cigar lighter plug and another plug for my power inverter, then added a small plug so I can connect my charger. Works great and even has a handle. You could use a bigger container or connect batteries (with fuses!) in parallel to boost the capacity and runtime.

Here's my rig, I was going for maximum flexability but you could easily simplify the design. I suppose mine cost around $200 between all the parts.
    -solar-charger/regulator and power-inverter from Harbor Freight
    -rubbermaid bin from WalMart
    -12Ah battery, fuses & fuse holders, terminal strip, and connectors from RadioShack
    -12AWG wire rated 20A from Advance Auto
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0091 edit.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	469
    It gives me a continous supply of up to 13 watts (I could add more solar panels) or short-term power up to 200 watts.

My intent was to make my Eee PC self-sustaining but I found it's a bit hard to keep the panel in full sun and I need like 16 watts so I've set this rig aside for portable power and emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller7 View Post
    I know this is an old post but I thought you (or someone else) could still benefit from other ideas.

Depending on the amount of power you need, you could build a small battery pack with one (or more) Sealed Lead Acid (gel) batteries. I built myself a solar power supply this way, I hooked up a 12 amp-hour 12 volt battery to a cigar lighter plug and another plug for my power inverter, then added a small plug so I can connect my charger. Works great and even has a handle. You could use a bigger container or connect batteries (with fuses!) in parallel to boost the capacity and runtime.

Here's my rig, I was going for maximum flexability but you could easily simplify the design. I suppose mine cost around $200 between all the parts.
    -solar panels/regulator and power-inverter from Harbor Freight
    -rubbermaid bin from WalMart
    -12Ah battery, fuses & fuse holders, terminal strip, and connectors from RadioShack
    -12AWG wire rated 20A from Advance Auto
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0091 edit.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	469
    It gives me a continous supply of up to 13 watts (I could add more solar panels) or short-term power up to 200 watts.

My intent was to make my Eee PC self-sustaining but I found it's a bit hard to keep the panel in full sun and I need like 16 watts so I've set this rig aside for portable power and emergencies.
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post about portable charger.. I know the post is old but still it does help me lot..i will try to use solar panels now..
    Last edited by RogelioYoung; 10-16-2013 at 04:44 AM.

i use a cheap 600va ups, that give me 30 minutes of power, in some scenarios that will be enough.

That UPS has a 7.5aH battery

I know this is an old post, I think nuffield technologies make a portable site survey battery