Thread: NS1 Format fixes

Default NS1 Format fixes

I found at least 2 issues with the way Inssider 2 exports NS1 files.

1. The speed (data rate) is calculated incorrectly. In the NS1 file format specification, this field is defined in units of 100kbps. I looked at the source code and I found that the original value (expressed in mbps) is multiplied by 1024 and then divided by 100. 1 mbit = 1000 kbits, not 1024kbits. So it should only be multiplied by 10.

Code:
     Line 119: bData.AddRange(BitConverter.GetBytes(((int)ap.MaxRate) * 10));
    2. When exporting to NS1 every client is detected as "Peer" or "Ad-hoc". This is fixed easily by modifying lines 70 and 75:

Code:
    67://802.11 capability flags. This just shows if the AP uses WEP and/or is AdHoc
    68:                if(ap.Privacy.ToLower() == "wep")
    69:                {
    70:                    if (ap.NetworkType != "Access Point") bData.AddRange(new byte[]  { 0x12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    71:                     else bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x11, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    72:                }
    73:                else
    74:                {
    75:                    if (ap.NetworkType != "Access Point") bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    76:                    else bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    77:                }

Hello,

I was wondering why the max rate was never quite 54.

I don't quite agree with the 2nd set of changes, It really should be this:
    Code:
    if(ap.Privacy.ToLower() != "none")
    {
    	if(ap.NetworkType != "Infrastructure" && ap.NetworkType != "Access Point") bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    	else bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x11, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    }
    else
    {
    	if (ap.NetworkType != "Infrastructure" && ap.NetworkType != "Access Point") bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    	else bData.AddRange(new byte[] { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 });
    }
    I did this because APs show up as "Infrastructure" for me(using Win7), and I think they show up as "Access Point" on XP.

I've put these changes into the source for the next update.

Thanks.

Actually, for the 2nd set of changes you should change one line in the Utilities.cs file:

Code:
    Line 48: new ValueString( (int)NetworkInfrastructure.Ndis80211Infrastructure, "Infrastructure" ),
    That way it is consistent with how it's called in Win7.

Excellent observation, added!

I have a suggestion: For every thread that has an implemnted solution, like above- can we mark the entry as ARCHIVE IN 1 YEAR, and then each NEW YEAR, delete or (ARCHIVE) every thread so designated. That would free up the database(prime),
    so that people wouldn't see old , ancient obsolete entries such as .. A meg is 1000 not 1024, and bug corrected in current release(name it). etc etc.. this reduces dead-code!!

6. Default

Thanks this is a pretty good suggestion actually. I'll see what we can do about it. Thanks!