Thread: WiFi Issues what is this

Default WiFi Issues what is this

We have a customer that is having continuous problems with their wifi. We have installed 4 different access points of varying quality and the same thing keeps happening. Their wifi works for about a day then in the morning they have no wifi. we have to get in remotely and change the channel on the WAP. They are currently using a Belkin 802.11b/g/n device. We have recently purchased an HP V-M200 802.11n Access Point. This worked fine when we configured it at our office, upon installing it, it stopped working.

I started channelyzer recording yesterday before noon, unfortunately I forgot to disable automatic updates and the computer rebooted. I started it again (updates turned off). I just got this screen capture and I can see there are several AP's in it but what is the strange repeating signal on every channel at -30 decibels? What would cause several different access points to stop working until the channel is changed?

The image attached was uploaded after about 8 hours of monitoring.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi-Spy 2_4x [1].png 
Views:	355 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	307

The noise looks like a device hunting (channel scanning). It reminds me of a cordless phone. It would be good to see the actual recording.

I will have the recording tomorrow, however what you see at this point is what showed up within the first hour. I just waited 8 hours so the peaks would become more visible.

Sigh..... Maybe not, I just checked on it remotely and cannot access the computer. Something weird is going on here.
    Last edited by flinx; 01-12-2011 at 09:46 PM.

I would like to upload a recording but it us 7.5 megs how should I do this?

Here are screen caps after aprox 24 hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi-Spy 2_4x 3.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi-Spy 2_4x 1.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi-Spy 2_4x 2.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	310

The large peak is our WAP There are approximately 7-10 other WAP's in the area non has a signal higher than -85db.

There are no cordless phones in the office, unknown if there are any nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    The noise looks like a device hunting (channel scanning). It reminds me of a cordless phone. It would be good to see the actual recording.
    Here is a link to the recording https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_T...ut=list&num=50

Did you get this sorted?
    Why not use youtube and post the link here?

No after replacing the unit, we still would have to log in remotely and change the channel manually. We finally moved them to a 5ghz solution and so far so good.