Thread: [HELP] I don't understand what's going on.

Red face [HELP] I don't understand what's going on.

Hi All,

I'd be really grateful if anybody could explain what's going on with the red line which is my WiFI? Seems to jump up and down lots but don't see why it should do.
    http://www.speakdigital.co.uk/upload/Weird.jpg

Also looking at the following am I on the best channel? (3)
    http://www.speakdigital.co.uk/upload/Channels.jpg

Thanks so much for any advice / help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Channels.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weird.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	312  

I AP on channel 3 MAY be getting interference from the other channels (since it is off channel). This interferance may be case a bad value to be seen. if the AP is on 3 is yours, try moveing it to channel 1.

Thanks for that, I did have it on 1 originally. The graph was very similar in terms of jumping up and down as you see it now, but the data throughput was slower than it is now it is on channel 3.

Could it be a fault on my laptops wifi card? Is it worth getting another computer in to test from?

Thanks again for ur time.

I think it always pays to check with a different computer when you have a problem. This helps rule out causes.
    In this case, Insider is reporting the RSSI that your WiFi Card is seeing for the AP. So if you run Insider on a different computer in the same location, and the signal is flat, while at the same time seeing the up/down on the first device, then this shows the first devices is doing something. If both go up and down, then either both devices are doing the some thing, or the AP is chaning the power levels.
    Some "smart" APs will dynamic adjust the power levels. See if your AP has a setting around power management or output power.