Thread: Determine location of wireless networks

Default Determine location of wireless networks

Hi. I was wondering if there is a way to calculate an estimated distance/location of local wireless networks, using the information provided by inSSIDer? In other words, a rough approximation of how far the surrounding signals are from my device.

...Hm, now if inSSIDer cannot help me calculate such things, I hope it's okay for me to ask: does anyone know of a tool that would facilitate my needs?

Thank you!

I don't think inSSIDer is going to be able to do that for you. It is basically "practicably" impossible. Since all routers and AP's have different output strengths, and the variability of interiors are so great. If you were purely outside and the signal was outside, you would have a better chance. Or you could just assume the maximum allowable part-15 limits in 2.4 GHz band which is 1 watt transmit power (unless you are a HAM - in which case the power is MUCH higher). You could triangulate the signal possibly from several points and make a best guess.. otherwise you are looking at really expensive Vector Analyzers probably. Unless you just want to follow the signal, then just get a directional antenna for the WiFi card and you can hone in on it pretty easy.

Oxygen