Thread: Trying to understand RSSI Level

Default Trying to understand RSSI Level

Moderator edit:

I have a D-Link dir-655 extreme n. I have been noticing poor perforamance with my new laptop and began investigating various thing that could be occuring. Stumpled upon this great program to test my wireless; however, need help understanding output.

Looking at my RSSi it's -60 and my neighboor's are all in the 80's and 90's. I live in a house so I am picking up these from at least a distance of 30 yards plus. Is this telling me my router needs to be replaced? or is the higher the number the worse.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 07-16-2015 at 03:23 PM.

I think I figured it out by moving around the house. Seems to be the lower the number the better. What is a good average? Can some other people let me know what they are getting in their houses so I can see if my router is loosing signal strength.

-60 dBm is a perfectly great #. Even -80 is a good number. It sounds like you are using the same channels as the neighbors, or have other interfering devices in your house. Did an old laptop work just fine? because you may not have the settings right or it may not be 802.11n compatible.

If you have A LOT of neighbors at -80 then you are going to be impacted if they are on the same channels. Since 802.11n uses double the space of a regular 802.11b/g AP or (40 MHz), if many people are around and using their wireless networks, you are really going to get impacted.

By performance being "poor" what do you mean? what are your numbers? You are going to loose signal strength when you move around the house and the further you are from the AP, the slower your connection will probably be. Remember, that depending on how big your house is, that the radio signal is bouncing all over the place and off different walls. The less walls between you and the AP the faster the performance will also be.

Could you post a pic of the RF landscape?

Check out the Review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-li...ml#reviewPage1

Also are you running any other wireless devices in your house and what are they? Cordless phone? audio? zigbee? anything that runs on 2.4GHz is going to impact you.

Oxygen
    Last edited by oxygen69; 03-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.

An old laptop that was using G worked just fine. This one not so much. I have attached the landscape one in the same room as the router and the other in a different room same floor. I have made little improvements by getting it up on at the top of a wall shelf. The house is 2100 sq ft.

I am ElmurFud in the pictures below

Same Room

Different Room 5-8 yards away maybe two walls:

Doing some filtering I am the only one using 40hz and yes there is a wireless phone in the house that is 2.4; however, it's been here a while.

Poor performance is my MBPS drop from the hundreds to 19 - 28 highest being 65 in a different room and it's over 115 in the same room. Interestingly enough this route is rated at 300 mbps but probably will never get that wireless.
    Last edited by rollo1002; 03-06-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Picture display problems, Add details

Ok, first a few things.

1) That 2.4 GHz phone WILL impact your wifi when it is being used. The Phone's base unit signal to the phone uses 2.4 GHz, but the phone to the base unit (usually) runs on 900MHz. So keep the base unit away from the router/AP. Maybe in a different room.

2) The microwave oven will destroy the 2.4 GHz signal as that is what band it runs in (2.400-2.495GHz) roughly. Again keep it away from the microwave (aka: a different room).

3) It is possible that you are getting TOO strong of signal, as in the first image (-39) is the equivalent to me turning the stereo up to 7/10 and the sound being distorted. (-54) is a much more reasonable number for good connectivity.

4) You will never see 300Mbps in "normal" operating environments as there is data overhead with packets, and usually others interferce around you - I see several of concern.

Nivea is reporting (-69) image1 and (-57) image2. They are your biggest problem. Room in image2 will probably be your worst room for loosing speed as "Nivea" is stronger there on your laptop than image1, & your 2 RSSI (dBm)'s are fairly similar. You 2 are talking, for all intensive purposes, directly on top of each other in 1/3rd of the channel. I recommend moving channels to (1 + 5) as that will provide the least overlap with them. Hopefully doing that will resolve some issues, unless they are on "auto channel" which it may then just move your way too.

Realistically, I would buy a 5 GHz AP and run 802.11n on that, as that frequency is pretty open. Those AP are a bit more money though. 2.4 GHz is trashed these days for speed.

I see others Have (N) routers around you too and they are all going to be a problem for you ultimately.
    So, maybe stick the AP in the middle of the house somewhere or near where you are going to use it most. Do expect the speed to drop time-to-time. If all else fails get a 5 GHz AP and try that. Or go back to the 802.11g settings and use them.

Hope that helps some.. Let us know what happens..

Oxygen

Hi Oxygen,

Thanks for all of the input and taking all of your comments into consideration, I went ahead and bought the Linksys E3000 with simultaneous Dual Band 2.4 and 5ghz. Performance is much better and the range has been narrowed so I am no longer conflicting with my neighbor Nivea. Here is the new result from the second room in the house.

In addition to what oxygen69 said, If you have an 11n device and an 11g device connected to the same 11n AP, the AP will fall back to 54Mbps 11g, thus degrading performance.

When looking at wifi speed the best case rule of thumb for work out though put is "device speed"/(number of clients + 1).
    The +1 is for the AP itself.
    Device Speed will be the 300/54Mbps of the device you have.
    Number of clients are the number of Clients "Currently Talking" (eg: you could have 5 computers connected, but only 1 talking).

So 300Mbps/ (1 client + 1) = Max throughput of 150Mbps.
    Cheap APs will run ALL clients at the slowest speed, better ones can run different clients at different speeds. (Dont confuse this with the N v G as Tyle said).
    ie: If you AP has 2 Radios 5Gig N and 2.4G G then they should both work at the same time, But if it has one Radio 2.4Gig N and G then it can only work with one at a time.

Looking at the 54Mbps G wifi space, you have other speeds such as 1Mbps 11Mbps 54Mbps. If a computer as at the other end of the house, it may only be able to work well at 1Mbps, but the computer next the AP could be working at 54Mbps, and a computer between may be at 11Mbps. For this example, if all 3 where online and downloading, then we have 3 clients for the math.
    54/(3+1) = 13Mbps download speed (even though the connection speed is 54Mbps).

Keep in mind that another AP on the same channel (and all its active clients) count in the math....