Thread: Graph scaling problem?

Default Graph scaling problem?

Hi

I'm using inSSIder2 (v 2.0.7.0126) on an ageing Sony laptop running Win XP Home SP3.
    The wireless card is PCMCIA USR Robotics 802.11g configured using win zero config.

I can see APs OK but the graphs don't seem to be correct. There are no lines on the time graph - it is scanning OK - and the 2.4GHz channel graph shows a pair of near vertical lines for each channel detected. It is as if the peaks are way off scale. It could also explain the time graph - if the lines are above the top of the graph.

I've searched for the problem in the forum and have only found one but in that case it is where the lines for only some APs appear and others don't.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried the version of inSSIder1 on the website but with the same problem. Am I missing some required runtime software?

Thanks
    Tim

What are the reported RSSI levels for the APs? Normal RSSI values range from -100 (lower) to around -40 (higher).

Default RSSI values

82, 80, 67, 77 are typical
    Screenshots attached
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Time.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Channels.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	399
    Hope that helps.
    I can't see if there's something else I should be doing.
    Thanks

I seem to be having a scaling problem also, but all mine are scrunched in the middle of the graph.

WinXP Home SP3
    Alfa AWUS036H (Realtek RTL8187) b/g USB
    inSSIDer 2.0.7.0126

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mygraph.PNG 
Views:	200 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	415

The red high signal is the AP in the same room as me. The pink/burgundy/teal ones are so weak they're borderline undetectable by my adapter. Seems my graph of APs should occupy the -100 to -15 range? instead of the -65 to -45 range....

I know inSSIDer is probably not the culprit, maybe my adapter reports weird or inaccurate values. I don't have another adapter to test with at the moment. So a suggestion is to have an inSIDDer settings to force/adjust/offset RSSI values to correct an adapters shortcomings. Or even auto scale the graph to hide blank un-graphed areas at top/bottom.