Thread: Question concerning random neighborhood networks jumping to 0 RSSI?

Default Question concerning random neighborhood networks jumping to 0 RSSI?

Okay I have been using inSSIDer for about a year now and have never come across this before, so I thought I would ask. I am running it right now and there are 28 networks shown, and my network is the only one running with a RSSI under 55 or so (mine is running at about 28 or so, next 3 closest are between 55 and 60).

My question is that there seems to be 5 or 6 networks that show up with a 0 value for the RSSI for a while, and then go back to 70-95 or wherever they usually run. The amount of time they sit at 0 varies, some will stay there for a minute or longer, others will stay for about 5 seconds. Also, on the graphical representation, this value of 0 shows them way above my network, which I am wondering if this might be part of the cause of the internet problems I am having (explanation below). Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this just some odd thing that is happening?

--------------
    The current internet problem I am facing started about 2-3 weeks ago. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 set up, running only the 2.4ghz channel right now, and my service provider is Time Warner Cable, and I am paying for 5.12Mbps broadband I believe is what they said (basic plan). About two weeks ago, the connection got very unstable, and so I started running speed tests quite often to check it, because I couldn't stream shows or play online games most of the time due to extreme lag. There are rare occasions where the speed test will show a return of 8-12Mbps with a ping 35 or lower, and I can definitely tell when it is running at this speed. However, about 90-95% of the time I can't get higher than 2.0Mbps and is usually closer to 1.0Mbps, and depending on the time, the ping will be anywhere from 150 to 283 is the highest I have seen thus far. This includes wireless and connecting straight (wired) to the modem after resetting everything, the speed tests still show this during these 'down' times. Of course the one time I was able to get my ISP to have someone come out for diagnostics was one of the rare times it ran fast (came up with a 12Mbps result when he was here) and he said according to his stuff all my equipment was showing up as working properly.

I am getting annoyed because I can't do stuff at all most of the time, and there doesn't seem to be a solution for it. It is almost as if someone else is hogging all the bandwidth at certain times (usually happens starting in the evenings through the night, and weekends. During a work day is usually the few times I can get a good speed).

Granted this is slightly off topic, but thought I would try to see if anyone knew what was going on, or if this has something to do with the RSSI's of other networks showing up as 0's, or anything else.

The RSSI values of 0 are the wireless adapter misreporting the signal for the network. It should not affect your connection speed.

Default Interference from non-overlapping channel

I am getting the same problem and my connection is affected. A neighbouring wifi jumps to RSSI value zero (inSIDDer says) as described above and my internet access stops and only recovers when the other AP drops to normal. I am on channel 1+5(N) and the other AP is on channel 11. I am using an Acer laptop with Vista.

The problem AP seems to be a Netgear using WEP with "HomeS" as its SSID.

Any ideas, anyone?
    Last edited by jeduk2; 05-04-2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: typo

franklinBenjamin,

If the problem is happening Wired as well as wireless then I would think the issue has something to do with the Netgear or Internent connection. I suppose it is possible that someone is attached to your Netgear wireless and is using your bandwidth, but I would think unlikely. When you are connected wired and see the slow speed, turn off wireless and see if it continues to happen. I can't say how the ISP is setup in your area, but I know in my subdivision all of us on the same ISP basicly share the same large bandwidth and a times I will see my bandwidth slow down. Especaially after work when everyone gets home and starts streaming.

Thank you for the reply.

I have not tried wired connection. I suspect it will be OK. I will try what you suggest and post the result.
    Last edited by jeduk2; 05-05-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: rethink