Thread: Sudden bursts/peaks

Default Sudden bursts/peaks

I am checking signals from neighbouring properties - I'm on channel 1 at -40dBm which is far and away the strongest local signal. However a neighbour is on the same channel at -90dBm, with occasional bursts (several seconds long) peaking at -10dBm. I'm not sure if this is confusing my router or computers. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Default Wi-Spy Recording

Hi Julian, and welcome to the forum!

I'd be happy to help you. Will you attach a Wi-Spy recording or screenshot so we can see what you're seeing please?

Default This is what I'm seeing...

Thanks for the offer - this is what I'm seeing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bursts.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	224

I see the exact same behavior from several AP in my neighborhood: low level then periodically "off the chart" at -10db. What is the cause?

Edit: I see there is another thread on the same topic with an answer: "very high RSSI values nearby networks"
    Last edited by eeandersen; 10-23-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eeandersen View Post
    I see the exact same behavior from several AP in my neighborhood: low level then periodically "off the chart" at -10db. What is the cause?

Edit: I see there is another thread on the same topic with an answer: "very high RSSI values nearby networks"
    Other signals in the area jump to a peak of -10 when they are actually below -100db! I have at least 3 local to me that are SO weak that they constantly peak at -10db! I turn those signals off, it's the only solution at the moment.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by mlhifi; 07-31-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: correction