Thread: Unidentified Network?

Default Unidentified Network?

Hi all, new here.

I have Wi-Spy 2.4i and Chanalyzer Lite. Very nifty application!

One question. I see quite heavy activity on channel 4 (Or maybe just on that frequency.) The activity looks very similar to a network AP that I have on channel 2 and another network I know of on channel 6. BUT, channel 4 does not show up in the network table. I also use NetSurveyor to look for channel use in my area. Channel 4 has never shown up there either, nor has channel 3 or 5.

I thought maybe a hidden SSID was the cause, so I set my AP to suppress SSID, but Chanalyzer Lite still shows the network. So, it appears that Chanalyzer Lite shows networks/SSIDs even if they are suppressed.

Can anyone provide me with any insight?

Thanks for any help, Jim

Chanalyzer Lite will show you hidden SSIDs, but only for APs you've connected to in the past. That may be why you can see your own hidden SSID, but not that of the AP on channel 4. So you still may be correct in your original suspicions.

Thanks for your reply Bret,

Based on the changes in the amount of activity on Channel 4 that I see at various locations, I now think one of my wireless security camera transmitters is responsible for the activity on Channel 4. I will verify by powering down the transmitter later.

After rebooting my AP with the hidden SSID, Chanalyzer Lite now does not show it in the Network Table. And I notice that NetSurveyor shows a Network with a name of "Unidentified..." with the MAC address of my hidden AP as part of the name.

I will update after I verify the camera transmitter as the mystery activity on Channel 4.

Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Bret,

Based on the changes in the amount of activity on Channel 4 that I see at various locations, I now think one of my wireless security camera transmitters is responsible for the activity on Channel 4. I will verify by powering down the transmitter later.

After rebooting my AP with the hidden SSID, Chanalyzer Lite now does not show it in the Network Table. And I notice that NetSurveyor shows a Network with a name of "Unidentified..." with the MAC address of my hidden AP as part of the name.

I will update after I verify the camera transmitter as the mystery activity on Channel 4.

Thanks, Jim
    Wireless security camera transmitter is verified as the mystery activity on Channel 4. Channel 4 is 2.427 GHz and the camera transmitter is on 2.432 GHz.

Thanks, Jim