Thread: Wireless Dropouts intermittant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Wireless Dropouts intermittant

We've been having wifi dropout issues for many months. It's very intermittant.
    I dont see any direct interference. There are 2 wifi speakers that are very noticable but they are not over our channel. There are occasional brief spikes from neighbors, could that be it? It looks like the wifi is trying to briefly change channels, I'm not certain that is when the dropout happens but that's what I suspect.

image:
    http://www.chipman.org/danatest%2095...022%202011.png

wsx in zip: http://www.chipman.org/danatest.zip

All help is appreciated. thanks, Kerry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danatest 955am may 22 2011.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	457

PS the speakers are Rocketfish wireless speakers.

Update, with all new equipment provided from Time Warner, same issue is happening on at least 2 computers still.
    I didn't have my wi-spy there today but when the wifi went out i could see a small strong level pulse about once a minute, then after several minutes it came back in.

Cant someone take a look at my recording and respond, or offer any ideas about why, no matter what hardware we are using or what settings (all default currently) the wifi keeps dropping out. Time warner says thier signal is good now, and the hardware is good because i cant believe we tried so many replacments and it's still a hardware issue, so it's either wifi interference, or the signal on the cable is intermittant or there some sort of power supply glitch or we just have grimlins.

If you guys dont see any interference on the recording... is there any way for me to monitor the cable signal?
    I was thinking to rule out the power supply I could put my UPS on the modem and router. But really power is such a long shot right, it's got to be the incoming singal is going bad or I'm missing something on the recording. Oh by the way did I ask if someone could look at my recording

What are the security settings for this SSID? If RF is OK maybe you could check AP logs, maybe TKIP countermeasures are being activated.

Quote Originally Posted by leomezza View Post
    What are the security settings for this SSID? If RF is OK maybe you could check AP logs, maybe TKIP countermeasures are being activated.
    Sorry, just checked the attached graph, if it was a TKIP countermeasure the network would be off for 1 minute.

Can you turn the AP off for a while and make a recording without it in the recording? You might be just hiding something that is interfering with the AP's signal. Do that and make sure the recording WITH the AP on, has a vary prominent part where the computer is dropping off, in the recording.

EDIT: It appears that there are some REALLY strong spikes going on throughout the entire 2.4 range. Normally I would think that is your computer searching for an AP, but they are pretty strong (red in this case) from 2400-2480 MHz or so. ARE YOU SURE those speakers are not trying to change channels? Because I see them doing it several times..

Also, have you tried a different computer? Maybe the card is going on that one. I mean I see a (-13dB) spike. That is you computer probably and the Wi-Spy too close to it when recording. Get a usb cable and try getting the computer away from the Wi-Spy about 3 feet and make a new recording..

EDIT 2:

If you are the AP on channel 1 then it appears your AP is changing channels for some reason? Are the channels hard set? The AP is then moving over into the channel with the speakers and is probably getting killed, hence moving back to channel 1.

Oxygen
    Last edited by oxygen69; 06-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leomezza View Post
    Sorry, just checked the attached graph, if it was a TKIP countermeasure the network would be off for 1 minute.
    It's what I think is typical WPA2-PSK I believe. We did see some 1 minute dropouts reciently and Time Warner did some kind of security reset reciently. Is this something that would be in the logs? I'm going to research TKIP countermeasures, let me know if you have any links about it handy. Thansk!