Thread: Two Quick Questions!

Default Two Quick Questions!

Hiya just a couple of possibly simple questions I couldnt find answers to in google. Using inssider and tracking my network noise.

Its averaging 55db with probably more time spent on 60db. Is this normal? Or is this bad, on the same floor.. doesnt matter what channel I set the router to. Router is a WNR2000 (not a v2/3 just a normal one)

Secondly, why does the channel in inssider report "1+5" or "2+6"

Router is set to up to 300mbs.

Im regularly getting bad webpage loads and terrible download speeds, first test was 20mbs and now its only <3mb average!

From my pc I get 49mbs (of a 50mb internet).

Thanks!

The -60 to -55dB is a good signal level. For example, when I'm several feet away from my AP I get RSSI values of -60 to -47dB.

The 1 + 5 or 2 + 6 is inSSIDer showing the secondary channel of the AP. Since your AP is in 300Mbps mode, it uses 2 channels.

As for the WiFi issues, have you tried changing the AP mode to 20MHz to see if it helps?

Cool I'm glad the signal levels are good

I dont think I have the option to change the AP Mode unfortunately.

It seems from the short tests I just did that if inSSIDer is open it really hampers my wifi network. With it off I average 17mbs and with it on I struggle to get anywhere near 5mbs which is probably because SSID is quite bandwidth intensive I'd imagine.

Either that or just very bad coincedence! Though often my wireless devices (iphone / ipad) sometimes struggle to get a good connection on webpages.

I think its gunna have to be a new router and time to upgrade to gigabit!

Your problem may be with the wireless on the router. Gigabit on the wired interface isn't going to help as your bottle-neck is not on the wired end of things as per your description. The problem seems to be with the wireless interfaces. I would get a Wi-Spy and check for interference on the channels you use and also consider getting a router with a higher-powered radio. Engenius makes some really solid models.

Note too that the more devices you have running on your wireless, the slower your connection will be as the wireless bandwidth is shared.

Fernand

Quote Originally Posted by ToejaM View Post
    Cool I'm glad the signal levels are good

I dont think I have the option to change the AP Mode unfortunately.

It seems from the short tests I just did that if inSSIDer is open it really hampers my wifi network. With it off I average 17mbs and with it on I struggle to get anywhere near 5mbs which is probably because SSID is quite bandwidth intensive I'd imagine.

Either that or just very bad coincedence! Though often my wireless devices (iphone / ipad) sometimes struggle to get a good connection on webpages.

I think its gunna have to be a new router and time to upgrade to gigabit!
    Running inSSIDer will cause connection problems for the machine it's running on. This is because to scan for APs, the WiFi adapter has to leave the currently connected AP's channel to look on other channels. This causes packet loss to the machine inSSIDer is running on.