Thread: Should inSSIDer be expected to degrade WLAN throughput on the machine it runs on ?

Default Should inSSIDer be expected to degrade WLAN throughput on the machine it runs on ?

Newbie question. I'm not a wireless expert at all. I just downloaded inssider for the first time to see what channels are in use in my area. Very nice.

I have noticed that browsing the web while inssider in scanning is so slow it's nearly impossible. The speed picks up instantly if I pause inssider scanning.

I've skimmed a lot of posts on this forum and from what you say:
    1) inssider does not actually generate any network traffic.
    2) when someone said running Firefox crashed inssider you didn't say that was a stupid thing to try.
    3) you have recommended a whole slew of other tools to run in conjunction with inssider (eg Wireshark + AirPcap)

Is my experience typical ?

inssider 2.0.7.0126 / XPSP3 / MSI Netbook with Ralink onboard wireless (3090 ?)

Yes, using inSSIDer can/will degrade network performance for the client it's run on. This is because the WiFi adapter has to leave the currently connected channel to look on other channels, thus missing data sent to it while it's scanning.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.
    I just hadn't seen it spelled out like that anywhere.