Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to get started...how to identify this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen69 View Post
    If you are running a Linksys E3000 dual-band router, then why are using the 2.4 GHz band at all if you are having problems? Why are you not running just in the 5 GHz band? That is what I would do. Run fully in 5 GHz or if you have to, split it with 2.4 on one channel and 5 GHz on the other (hence dual-band)
    Because I only own 1 computer with a dual-band wireless card. My parents laptop, my phone, my netbook, and my printer are 2.5GHz only. And it's unreasonably expensive to upgrade the couple things that could be upgeaded to 5GHz and that wouldn't fix things like my phone that are non-upgradable.

Also, this could very well be your internet connection as evidenced by a 155ms ping. However you really need to test out the router to your computer ping time first.
    Obviously you didn't read my whole post or you'd see the second test (wired) where I had a 5ms ping. Also I have a home-server that was getting equally bad wireless speed test so it's not my internet connection.

-What is the ping time from your computer to the AP when trouble is happening?
    To Test this open a Command prompt and type:
    ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your router.

-Also when you are having problems try running a trace route.. To do this open the command prompt and type: tracert www.google.com

or if that doesn't work type: tracert 74.125.225.49

Put a screen shot of the results of the up next time the problem happens.
    Sure, if it'll make you happy I can try. I did some of those tests though didn't write down the results - I just used it to narrow the problem to wht 2.4GHz segment of my network. With all due respect, I know how to troubleshoot wired networks because I just spent a semester taking a college class on networking and how all these tools work to aquire the test statistics and know how to use them.

However, I (suspect) that you are either having one of 3 things happening:
    1) You do not have the wireless routers configured correctly to work with each other and they are interfering with each other somehow. I would turn one of them OFF and leave it off and see if the problem comes back.
    How can they interfere if they're on non-overlapping channels?

Next time it happens I will try turning one off for a while but there's not very good signal between our office and basement, hence an AP in each place.

2) If you are using dual-band 2.4 & 5GHz, how do you not know that there is interference in the 5 GHz spectrum happening at all? Are those
    channels hard set or on Auto. The 5.8 Uniden phone is running at about 5.815 GHz & also on 915 MHz (one for the base station & one for the handset).
    My 5GHz is doing fine, never had an issue. It's on auto channel.
    Why would the 5GHz phone xmit on 900MHz? Can you cite this somewhere? I'll check my scanner but I don't think they use the 900MHz band. In any event, the 5GHz network and phones seem to be co-existing fine - my problem is only with 2.4GHz so I don't understand why we're talking about anything else.

I had to force the channel because on 2.4GHz my routers want to use CH11 since that's the fewest neighbors but then it makes our video sender useless. That's why I set them on channels manually.

3) You are actually (somehow??) trying to run 802.11n in the 2.4GHz mode only.. This probably won't work as others around you will interfere and cause problems. 2.4GHz is trashed for speed these days and only getting worse.
    Well I would agree N should not have been allowed in 2.4GHz but IEEE thought otherwise. In any event, I think the only N device I have is my one dual-band laptop, all others are B or G. Maybe my netbook but I'm not sure if it's running in N mode because the speed says 54Mb/s.

In your case I would put everything at AUTO since you are having problems and don't seem to know what is wrong, also reset the router & wireless card entirely and get back all the original configurations. Also, try turning the router down to 802.11g/b and see if that solves the problem.

Also try this suggestion I found on the web, as it appears you may not actually have any wireless inference (per-se)...
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...al/td-p/357307
    In my case, I have "good" signal according to the taskbar but poor throughput.
    As stated above, I have reason why I didn't use "auto". The APs are basically stock settings - I disable DHCP, set a static LAN IP for the GUI, change the SSID, set WPA2-PSK, and change the channel. Otherwise they're default settings.

And read about wireless in this chat too:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1477617

If you are still having problems, I would then suggest you start over with your POST and tell us EVERYTHING to start with from the beginning... What is happening, when it happens (time of day, what you are doing, ect), what is in your house, people around you and there networks, your network, ect, ect, ect... Because your thread started out very empty of required info, and I think we are all just mystified as to what is really happening. There does not APPEAR to be any interference - that we can see - that would be killing you currently, but my suggestions above could be happening or help things. Please try them and get back when you find the problem, or want to go over everything, with screenshots of EVERYTHING ..

Oxygen
    I'll see, intermitant issues are always hard to troubleshoot but I'll post back. Since it's coming & going without me touching anything I can't easily declare something a solution...it's strange.
    Last edited by mmiller7; 06-25-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Here is the 5.8 GHz phone Spectrum analysis images.. look down the page. Its a 5.8 GHz VTech cordless phone

http://www.metageek.net/forums/showt...5432#post15432

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen69 View Post
    Here is the 5.8 GHz phone Spectrum analysis images.. look down the page. Its a 5.8 GHz VTech cordless phone

http://www.metageek.net/forums/showt...5432#post15432
    Interesting...well I just took my radio scanner (range 25Mhz-1300Mhz minus cellular) and swept the 900-930Mhz range didn't pick up any signals even as close as a foot away from the base. [Correction -- found 921.3000MHz,FM-Analog on the base. Had to use a slower scanning mode.] Ours aren't vTech, they're Uniden EXI8560 so maybe that's why.
    Last edited by mmiller7; 06-25-2011 at 03:02 PM.

That is because the modulation is DSSS you shouldn;t get much of anything really..

Modulation on what...the phone? The 921.3 couldn't have been DSSS because I could hear the entire 2-way conversation I was having -- which is a bit alarming in itself.

I correct myself... FCC requirement for FHSS are only for the digital frequency hopping or "Digital Spread Spectrum" operation. There are still older analog 900 MHz phones out there. The fact that anyone would use an analog phone these days without FHSS or DSSS is just disturbing and dangerous.

Oxygen

I hate to get off topic, but I feel like this is still important.

I would agree with you...in fact, that's part of the reason we got these newer 5.8GHz phones a couple years ago to replace the old 900MHz cordless we had and a 2.4GHz one that had crazy up-the-street range but was impossable to use (poor call quality) when the computer or microwave was running. I'm dissapointed they're still 900MHz at least one way...and the range isn't even as good as the old 900MHz (staticy in the yard). Great.

Here's the unit we have, from the advertising and manual it sounds (sounded) like it's 5GHz both ways. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-EXI8560...pr_product_top

And now I find it still uses frequencies that a sub-$100 race scanner could probably listen in. Now I wonder if DECT6.0 is really 1.6GHz both ways, are really "digital" signal, or really have any type of security as some claim. We've stayed away from DECT6.0 because they're really expensive compared to others. And since we sometimes have 3-4 people on the phone line at once, one of those multi-unit expansion kits wouldn't work since most of the ones I've found say only 1 can be used at any moment.
    Last edited by mmiller7; 06-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.

I believe that DECT 6.0 typically uses the newer 1920-1930 MHz unlicensed spectrum. They are digital, but the quality of the sound is not that hot. I've seen them go over 200ft from the base, but didn't look to see if they are both on 1.9GHz or use 900MHz too. It is disappointing that my old Uniden Digital Spread Spectrum 900MHz phone went a lot further than any of the newer phones. I could go 2-3 blocks away and still get a dial tone.

Oxygen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12