Thread: Chanalyzer Pro CPU usage and payback problems.

Default Chanalyzer Pro CPU usage and payback problems.

Hi,

I have been performing some Chanalyzer Pro-Wispy 2.4x measurements and I have coem accross some issues.

I am using Chanalyzer Pro (version 1.0.12.0407) on a Win Xp SP4 (.NET V3.5 SP1, V4 Client Profile, V4 Extended) Acer laptop. What I see is that after about 10 minutes of measurements, Chanalyzer Pro has taken more than 85% of the CPUs usage time and continues to increase with every minute.

Have you had this problem reported before? I tried uninstalling/installing Chanalyzer, but alas the same problem occurs.

What I found is that this problem seems to be related to whether the laptop 802.11 card is also used during the measurement. When the ‘Networks’ button is switched OFF, I do not see the CPU usage increase.

Also, play back of files (that were acquired with the Networks button ON), do NOT show all of the available 802.11 networks at the time of the measurement. I am sure of this as I would normally see a large number of networks, as opposed to the 2-6 showed during playback.

Thanks and regards
    Alex

Alex,

The upcoming release of Chanalyzer Pro will store network data differently, allowing Chanalyzer to use far fewer system resources.

Thanks for the swift reply Bret.

I would be grateful if you could give me an idea of the approximate time of release of the version. are we talking weeks, months, or a year ahead?

Thanks and regards
    Alex

Alex,

Days. Provided we can get everything cleaned up in time, we are planning to release next week.

Hello Alex,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest release of Chanalyzer Pro has been release and is available from our download page. Below is a link to that page. You can also click on Help -> Check for updates.

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Regards,

Rich

Thanks for letting me know Rich.

I have been using the new version for the last week or so and it looks great, but it still takes up most of my CPU usage after 10 minutes. I am under the impression this might be related to my laptop, rather than anything else, so I will reinstall it and try again.

However, I have a question regarding the transmitter detection feature. Now and then, during a measurement, I see 'PIR-Security Device', 'ZigBee' and 'Wireless PAL Camera' transmitters being flagged by this feature. These devices, as far as I can tell do not generally register a signal intensity in the Amplitude-vs.-Frequency or Waterfall graphs.

I have seen the 'PIR Secuirty Device' being flagged up, even in outdoor environements (an open space field) were the closed building is at least 100 meters away. Have false positives for the 'transmitters' feature been reported before?

Thanks and regards
    Alex

Hello Alex,

We definitely will use the CPU. How much is being taken up after 10 minutes? If you don't already try keeping the time span to around 5 minutes and see if that helps.

As for the Transmitters you can get false positives. We are working on making device classification even better but it is not a straight forward fix. Make sure on these devices you have the Threshold set to 90%, that should help with the false positives.