Thread: Using Device Finder

Default Using Device Finder

Hello. I am using Chanalyzer Pro and have the Device Finder. What are the general steps in tracking down a device and what are the visual indications in the display to reference?

2. Default

Thank you for the question. I address a few steps in using the Device Finder in the Evaluation Guide. You'll find the device finder section at the bottom of the document.

A few things I try to mention to users. The device finder works best with analog narrow band transmitters, meaning something that is constantly transmitting at a single frequency range. Transmissions that are bursty, or packet-based, have varying amplitude levels based on the amount of data throughput. The inconsistent amplitude levels mixed with client activity can be a vary tricky process to tracking down interference.

To find Rogue Access Points, you can attach the antenna to the Wi-Fi network adapter (assuming your nic has a rp-sma antenna connection) and use the networking feature (or inSSIDer) for directional device finding.

Is their a way to determine any info about device in the Device Finder (its mac addr, etc)? Also, is the device found in the Device Finder tab always considered an offending device?

4. Default

Mac address discovery is limited to layer 2 analysis. This requires a packet analyzer. The Device Finder in Chanalyzer and Wi-Spy is designed to be a interference troubleshooting tool. Meaning, a non-wi-fi transmitting device is broadcasting on the same channel as a WLAN and it needs to be found and turned off.

The Wi-Spy is not capable of reading anything at the packet layer. This means Wi-Fi activity is considered the same as microwave activity, noise. The Wi-Spy has a few views to help you determine which is which, but there is no layer 2 analysis in Chanalyzer.