Thread: signal shape

Default signal shape

Hi,

Using Inssider, I see that my WRT54GL with dd-wrt displays a Gauss shaped curve, channel 11 centered. I don't understand from where does this shape comes from, when I was used to watch rather "square" shapes (see joined file).

Thanks,

Olivier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-15_234457.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	484  

Insider uses you wifi card to get the signal strength, channel and some other data that helps ID the type of wifi signal eg: 802.11a/b/g/n. Since the wifi card simple hands back packets and not real data about the signal structure, insider uses different shapes to show different types of wifi signals seen.

Quote Originally Posted by olivier57 View Post
    Hi,

Using Inssider, I see that my WRT54GL with dd-wrt displays a Gauss shaped curve, channel 11 centered. I don't understand from where does this shape comes from, when I was used to watch rather "square" shapes (see joined file).
    Olivier: Hi!

The InSSIDer display shape approximates the physical spectrum.

The square shape (eg inconnu in your attached graphic) is a signal with OFDM (Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing). The Gaussian curve (eg dd-wrt_vap in your attached graphic) is a signal with a DSSS (Direct sequence spread spectrum).

802.11b (and predecessors) use DSSS modulation.

802.11a, g, and n use OFDM modulation.

802.11a, g, and n Access Points may also broadcast a DSSS modulated signal when they are idle (ie no clients connected) and then switch to an OFDM signal shape when transferring data. 802.11a, g, and n Access Points may also broadcast a DSSS modulated signal when they are communicating with a 802.11b client and operating at slow transfer speeds.

So your dd-wrt_vap might be 802.11b. Or it might be 802.11a, g, or n that is idle and in beacon mode.

V
    Last edited by vmq6695; 07-16-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: correct typo, add to explanation

Hi,

Thanks for your answers and thanks for this detailed explanation V !

Knowing those modulations, I understand much better what happens now.

Olivier

Default shape depending on card used also?

Hi,

I am using multiple machines, and on some, a certain signal shows up in a rectangular shape, in others in a bell shape. Based on other comments in other threads, I guess this is probably due to the capabilities of the adapter, as the one showing the bell shape I think does support n (its a used model I recently purchased, with unclear specs about adapter capabilities), while the others definitely don't.

Is my guess correct?

Thanks!

Yes, if an access point shows up differently on different machines, it would be because of the capabilities of the adapters used in the machines.