Thread: Coverage Verification...

Default Coverage Verification...

I recently needed to come in and troubleshoot a Sonicwall based WLAN network designed by a 3rd party for a local hotel. After making some tweaks I went into about 15 vacant rooms and used both my Wi-Spy dbx Pro/Chanalyzer combo and Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Windows 7 gadget along with my Intel 5100 AGN card. There was a pretty consistent correlation between the AP's RSSI as shown in Chanalyzer and the Xirrus gadget.. I'm looking for a safe process for evaluating coverage (e.g. post site survey).. Can someone advise on this?

Also, any feedback and what would be considered a safe benchmark RSSI wise for data clients?

2. Default

Thank you for your question! As of right now RSSI has not been standardized so different vendors will provide different results. inSSIDer and the Xirrus Wi-Fi monitor will provide the RSSI that they receive from the Windows Native Wi-Fi API. That is about as consistent as you can get.

If you are looking to evaluate coverage I recommend using a site survey tool that interpolates the data across a floor plan. This makes tracking coverage pretty easy. It will also allow you to set your minimum thresholds or SNR for each implementation. We have two tools that do this: VisiWave Site Survey and Ekahau Site Survey

Both of these applications can generate reports and track coverage by a single AP or SSID.

Also if you want to read more about the RSSI see CWNP's section in the CWNA book CWNA SNR and RSSI