Thread: Weird signal

Default Weird signal

Hello Guys,

I'm a proud owner of a wi-spy 2.4i

Since some time I tried to set up a nice WiFi bridge. It works perfectly, but I always have problems with packet drops.
    Except if I try to stream after midnight... then I can suddenly pump 60Mbit/s trough my connection
    Generally the laptops I my house have no problems, only the wifi bridge.

I already made a few changes to select the most optimal channel. channel 1(control channel) + 5 (802.11n) seems to be the best.
    Now because I have trouble with my WiFi bridge I used my wi-spy and found this curious signal that doesn't seem to be a WiFi device at all. I checked all my devices at home if they broadcasted this, but I didn't find anything.

This signal appears straight trough the day, and it stops after midnight, so it has to be a user device.
    Does anyone knows what it might be?
    Also the strange loops from low to high frequency is a bit random

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wifi-noise.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	531  

so nobody knows what the constant activity on 2408,5MHz could be?
    A cordless phone perhaps? the weird thing is: it's trough the day, nobody makes a phonecall that long I guess

3. Default

With narrow band signals, it is difficult identify what type of device it may be. But I recommend moving the Wi-Fi over to the next channel up, and i think your interference issue will be mitigated.

I don't think it is a cordless phone, but narrow-band its really hard to identify sometimes.

Also, get that AP off 802.11n in 2.4GHz! You will keep running into problems! If you want to use (N) then go to 5 GHz.. there is simply not enough bandwidth in 2.4 to use it and not interfere with anyone/something else..

Oxygen

thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen69 View Post
    I don't think it is a cordless phone, but narrow-band its really hard to identify sometimes.

Also, get that AP off 802.11n in 2.4GHz! You will keep running into problems! If you want to use (N) then go to 5 GHz.. there is simply not enough bandwidth in 2.4 to use it and not interfere with anyone/something else..

Oxygen
    Currently I don't have a 5GHz capable AP, nor all my clients are 5GHz capable.
    So far nobody uses 5GHz here as far as my intel card can see, so when I get my new asus rt-n66u with 5GHz in about a week I'll have all that air for me alone
    I unlocked channel 13, so now my network is on channel 13+9 which is out of sight of any other 802.11n network
    in fact not a single network uses channel 13 atm.

A recording would be nice so we can have a better look at it.