Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inSSIDer do not show any networks

Default inSSIDer do not show any networks

Hi.

I'm connected to Internet via a local network with a D-Link wireless USB dongle, but when starting inSSIDer, I get the error message:

Error attempting to use interface.
    Make sure you have selected a WIFI adapter, not an Ethernet adapter.

My WiFi donkle is: DWA-121 Wireless N 150 Pico USB Adapter
    Please help me.

Lars H.
    Last edited by Lars H.; 10-23-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your message. Just a quick follow up question, when you start up inSSIDer, when you look to the upper right hand corner by where it says start GPS. To the right of that there should be an area where you can select your wireless adapter (it should say DWA-121 Wireless N 150 Pico USB Adapter if your adapter is selected). Does it have your wireless card selected? If not, you should be able to select by clicking it which opens a drop down menu where you should be able to select your device.

To the right of that you will see a start/stop button. This button starts or stops collecting data through your wireless card, so, make sure that it is started (if it is started it should say stop as your option).

Let us know if this helps or if the issue persists.

Thanks a lot.

OK, in that area it was written something about an Ethernet adapter, but it didn't look like a click-able button. Now I know, and clicking that area, the name of my wireless DWA-121 adapter showed up in a drop down menu. So I selected that adapter, and after clicking the start/stop button, all the networks in the neighborhood showed up! I also tested with a CNet CUA-854L adapter, and that one also showed up in the drop down menu and listed the networks.

Thanks
    Lars H.

Lars,

I am glad that we were able to solve the issue.

Post Advice?

Hello, I've seen you be helpful in solving a lot of problems in the forum and was wondering if you could possibly help me out. My adapter (Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC) is selected at the top right corner of inSSIDer when I start it and it scans correctly but MY wireless network is the only one showing! Is my WLAN adapter not compatible with this program and if I were to get a new one do you have any suggestions? (Really want to use inSSIDer, haha) Thank you,
    -Max

Are you using Windows in-built wi-fi management software?
    Are you sure there are other networks that are detectable?
    If you are using Windows, click the network icon in the task bar to see other networks within range.
    They should all be seen using inSSIDer.
    Last edited by ua549; 05-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.

@ua549 Thank you for responding. Yes, I am using the built in wifi and it shows my network is the only one there also, but I know other networks reside here (I live in a big neighborhood).

Quote Originally Posted by max805 View Post
    @ua549 Thank you for responding. Yes, I am using the built in wifi and it shows my network is the only one there also, but I know other networks reside here (I live in a big neighborhood).
    max,

When you say that you "know other networks reside here", is this because when you open up the connections (to connect to a network), you see other networks? If so then inSSIDer should be displaying these for you to see.

inSSIDer just reports what your wireless network card sees, so if your card sees the network, inSSIDer sees the network.

Stephen

When I open inSSider it has not detected my wireless router. I have a combined broadband modem and router?

Hello kiama,

In order for inSSIDer to work properly, you need to have a wireless card/adapter. The way inSSIDer works is that it pulls the information it needs from your computers wireless card/adapter.

In other words, just because your router is wireless, doesn't mean you have a wireless card in your computer to see networks with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast