Thread: Wifi vs. xbox and PS3 - the deathmatch...

Thumbs down Wifi vs. xbox and PS3 - the deathmatch...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan1.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	571

Given the attached scan is there any hope at all of me getting wifi working properly? I work in a games development environment and we believe the wall of interference shown here is 200+ xboxes and PS3s with wireless controllers all in an open-plan environment.

As far as we can tell it's not possible to turn off bluetooth on the PS3s or MSs proprietary 2.4GHz protocol which they use for the controllers, so even if we switch to wired controllers the situation doesn't improve much. Further, the interference is like this even when the consoles are apparently off (because they can be woken up from their slumber by the controllers). To reduce the interference we have to go around the room pulling the power cords on them all and then we see a significant reduction, which only returns when we power them again.

I know we have the option to invest in 5GHz, but we have a lot of legacy devices that will not support the 5GHz band so ideally I need to make the 2.4GHz band work.

Any help very gratefully received.

Thanks, Adam.

2. Default

This is one of the coolest captures I have seen in a while! That is what the xbox controllers look like in the 2.4 GHz. The bluetooth will have much narrower steps/spikes across the 2.4 GHz. You might have better look alternating your channel use between 1 6 and 11. It looks like they're all on channel 6 at the moment.

I would love to have a recording of this. Do you mind emailing it to me? support at metageek d0t net

My guess is you will have to use the 5 GHz for your Wi-Fi connections.
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 12-20-2011 at 09:41 AM.

That's crazy! I have an Xbox and Wii screaming their Bluetooth across my 2.4GHz, but the density is so much lower.

Yeah, I think if you have a couple of consoles you will be fine. A representative from MS has nwo told me that xboxes channel-hop to avoid interference. However, we have over 100 xboxes and 100 PS3s in this environment so I think they are jumping all over the place trying to avoid each other and in the process destroying the entire usable spectrum.

I've started pricing up 5gig radios but the consoles themselves need 2.4gig so this basically means we can't use the console's own wifi.

Adam.

5. Default

Hey Adam, is there any chance you can send me a recording of this? I would really like to add this to our library. support at metageek d0tnet