Thread: Where does the "max rate" come from?

Question Where does the "max rate" come from?

Hi,

"inSSIDer 2.0" shows me two different "Max Rate" values for the same WLAN on two different systems. On my EeePC it shows 54 (which is the correct value) and on my Dell Inspiron it shows 11. Both systems are running on Win XP SP2. Could this indicate a real issue or is it more a cosmetical thing?

Background is that I'm actually hunting a bandwith mystery on my Dell machine. Since a few days I suffer from inferior internet connection bandwith over WLAN (but only on this machine) and I have absolutely no idea where to start bug search. At the moment my only hint is this strange "Max Rate" value.

Rhodo

The Max Rate value is the maximum speed the WiFi adapter being used on the machine can connect at/see. The Dell reporting 11 while the other reports 54 tells me that the Dell's WiFi adapter is an 802.11b-only adapter. If possible, could you tell me what model the WiFi adapter is?

No, no, its not b-only, the Adapter is "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" and in fact I can see some neighbourhood networks with Max Rate 144(N). Only mine is still at 11

Quote Originally Posted by rhodo View Post
    No, no, its not b-only, the Adapter is "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" and in fact I can see some neighbourhood networks with Max Rate 144(N). Only mine is still at 11
    you're gonna have to go into your control panel, device manager, network adapters, select the one in question, find the configure button, click, from there you should see a list of options to change, enable or disable certain things. Rate should be there. Adjust accordingly.... as for your inferior bandwidth issue, the incorrect rate setting could be the problem. it doesn't hurt to occasionally go to the device manager, right click on the network adapter of your choice, select uninstall, then, right click on "network adapters" and scan for hardware changes. this will usually clear up any speed issues you are having.
    Last edited by Lancelot1982; 10-06-2013 at 02:22 PM.

It could also be that higher data rates are disabled on your router. Check the router configuration page to ensure faster data rates (or 802.11g/n) mode are enabled.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

I have to say... inSSIDer would show my Sky-Hub SR101 and Sky Hub SR102 as 54Mbps routers even though its a 144Mbps router and connected at that rate too (shown in windows, connected at 144Mbps) using an Intel Dual-Band wifi card, I no longer use the hubs as ive just acquired a Netgear DGND 3700v2