Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly Questions From A Newbie

Default Silly Questions From A Newbie

Looking at page 5 (channel hoping) someone states that using channel 13 is illegal, being new, and a silver surfer can someone please tell me something about this.

The very reason i am here is because i had a user on my network who should not have been there.

Contacted the isp who re configured the router and changed the pass word and ssid ref.

The user still remained so i went into the netgear page and changed things around again still no joy.

contacted the isp whose security iam using and complained they offered me tech support at a price.

Looking in a computer mag there was a article on wifi and this site was mentioned so here i am.

The problem is with the wifi router, and at the end of the day i may well have to admit defeat, and go for the isp tech support.
    but being on a pension i don't want to increase the monthly expense in these troubled times, unless i have to.

This is all on the lap top by the way, the old desk top pc, is straight off the broad band cable no problems there yet.

Nearing 70 i know these questions could well be answered by a school pupil, but are a puzzle to me thats for sure.

This user on my network is running from channel 13, using my ssid name but with a different mac number,,different security level, and a different router, this is the extra information this site supplied on the inSSIDer page.

I have removed all personnel data, altered the admin name, re named the pc, and installed new passwords, and currently sorting email.

Any comments would be most helpful.

Sorry to ramble on for those still hear please help this old surfer.
    Last edited by newbie silver surfer; 08-26-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: additional words and spelling

I'm new myself so can't answer, but I'm concerned that this could happen, I'll be watching any replies with interest.

I only installed inSSIDer this morning, and having my own trouble figuring it all out, ain't getting old fun

Cheers Kev.

Hi Silver Surfer,

I do not make any claims to being a security expert and due to the fact
    that you have not told us what kind of wifi router and pc operating system
    you are using I can only give you a general guideline.

wifi security comes at various levels: none, wep, wpa, wpa2 (wpa2 being the most secure)

you need to determine the highest common security level suported by both
    your wifi router and your pc/laptop

if both will support wpa2 definitely use this

now go to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

and copy a random hexadecimal password into the wifi router and also
    into the network configuration section on you pc

you can keep a copy of this password as a text file on a usb stick
    or on your hard disk - for future reference.

hope this helps

mayim

Similar silly question from a newbie. I apologize but I've looked for a user guide for inSSIDer here and have yet to find one. I have a question regarding the channel bandwith graphic shown in the bottom windown of inSSIDer. Can anyone explain the difference between the networks whose channel usage/bandwith is shown in dotted lines versus those that are shown with solid lines. Just curious.
    I've already used this program to change my network to a channel with less overlap with neighboring networks. Thank you very much to the designers and to whoever responds to this question as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Net_Tim View Post
    Similar silly question from a newbie. I apologize but I've looked for a user guide for inSSIDer here and have yet to find one. I have a question regarding the channel bandwith graphic shown in the bottom windown of inSSIDer. Can anyone explain the difference between the networks whose channel usage/bandwith is shown in dotted lines versus those that are shown with solid lines. Just curious.
    I've already used this program to change my network to a channel with less overlap with neighboring networks. Thank you very much to the designers and to whoever responds to this question as well.
    FOUND MY OWN ANSWER elsewhere in the forums - SORRY:

The line style in the channel graph denotes Encryption level.

Dotted line = No encryption
    Dashed like = WEP
    Solid line = WPA

This user on my network is running from channel 13, using my ssid name but with a different mac number,,different security level, and a different router,

He is not on your network. Wifi is radio, you are seeing another AP within radio range. As long as the channels do not overlap there is no problems. Post a reply If you change your ssid and his follows.

Agree'd you do NOT have anyone on your network.. If he is on a different channel then it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to be using your network. Simple Wireless rules.. you can only use one channel at a time.. (most of the time - unless using the new 802.11n routers) You are just seeing who else is out there in the neighborhood. I see 50+ different MAC #'s.. that does not mean they are on my network..

Technically it isn't illegal to use channel 13 in the US (given it is configured a certain way) however, most people just assume this and never use it since they are not up on FCC rules. For all intensive purposes I would not use this for you, but this alone tells you that no one is on your network. Just like cellular and other 2.4GHz signals, you have to SHARE the entire RF band with everyone.. Just because you see then doesn't mean they are using your network. And in the end if you are still worried, don't use wireless then..

Oxygen
    Last edited by oxygen69; 09-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker_33 View Post
    As far as i'm aware the mac address can't be altered.
    I have to disagree... For awhile I was bundling my phone with Comcast internet, and the modem they gave me was a piece of %^&*. It would be tied to the MAC address of whatever device was ready and available when the installer hooked it up, and you know they don't like the word 'router', so it had to be a computer. I got home that day, unhooked my desktop, plugged in my router, and went to town.

Nothing...

After searching around the interwebs on my phone, I discovered this ittle tidbit about these routers(Arris, or something like that), I was told to look in my router setting for a 'Clone MAC address' option, and the router would pretend to have the MAC address the modem was looking for, and it was a peach. I have as an option on my new router as well, but since I don't have my phone through them anymore, I'm back on my Motorola surfboard, and don't hve to mess with that.

I may be wrong, and someone can feel free to correct me if I am.

As for the MAC addresses that show up inSSIDer, I was assuming that they were the MACs of the routers themselves. That's correct, right?

9. Default

Your wireless router will have an ethernet MAC address (You cloned your computer's ethernet MAC address), and it has a wireless MAC address. inSSIDer will show the wireless MAC addresses.

Default What about line weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Net_Tim View Post
    FOUND MY OWN ANSWER elsewhere in the forums - SORRY:

The line style in the channel graph denotes Encryption level.

Dotted line = No encryption
    Dashed like = WEP
    Solid line = WPA
    Great! Would you happen to know what the line weight denotes? Sometimes my SSID is standard weight and sometimes its bold.

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	590  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast