Thread: WiFi Analysis

Default WiFi Analysis

Hi,

I've tried searching the forums for an answer to this, but I cannot find anything.

We're having an issue with wi-fi dropping out during the course of the day.

So I'm looking for a tool that I can install on a laptop and leave it running, recording the wi-fi connectivity, exactly like the 'Time Graph' screen in inSSIDer 2.

However I need to be able to save the data an analyse it later, how can I do this using inSSIDer, is this possible?

Many thanks for you time, and assistance.

Cheers

Pete

Hello Pete,

Yes, you can do this with inSSIDer. Just click file and click "Start logging" and select where you want to save it and it will start recording.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

The problem is, what do I use to analyse the .gpx file? I can't see how viewing in Google Earth would allow me to make any sense of the data.

Cheers

4. Default

the export to .gpx was implemented by one of our customers a long time ago. To be totally honest I have no idea what .gpx files are used for.

Default GPX log details

Please note that "gpx" files are logs related to GPS environment. Those files contain points/ tracks/ routes, basically timesamp and geographic position plus additional information according the target of the log. This particular log merges the inSSIDer information (MAC, SSID, signal level, channel, implemented security, etc) with GPS data in order to locate geographically each detected wifi network. Obviously the track will be a single position if you remain static but, in the case you travel, you will be recording all wifi nodes detected along the trip.

I connected a USB GPS to the PC and started it from inSSIDer. Then I started the log. GPX is a text format based on XML. This particular log has the following pattern for each detected wifi node;

<wpt lat="39.474395" lon="-.354252">
    <ele>6</ele>
    <time>2012-02-28T16:01:2.0Z</time>
    <geoidheight>0</geoidheight>
    <name>WLAN_C3 [40:4A:03:98:7F:8D]</name>
    <cmt>1.52</cmt>
    <desc>WLAN_C3
    [40:4A:03:98:7F:8D]
    RSSI: -54 dB
    Quality: 76%
    Channel 9
    Speed (kph): 1.52
    2012-02-28T16:01:2.0Z</desc>
    <fix></fix>
    <sat>7</sat>
    <hdop>1.1</hdop>
    <vdop>0.87</vdop>
    <pdop>1.4</pdop>
    <extensions>
    <MAC>40:4A:03:98:7F:8D</MAC>
    <SSID>WLAN_C3</SSID>
    <RSSI>-54</RSSI>
    <ChannelID>9</ChannelID>
    <security>WEP</security>
    <signalQuality>76</signalQuality>
    <networkType>Infrastructure</networkType>
    <rates>1/2/5,5/6/9/11/12/18/22/24/36/48/54</rates>
    </extensions>
    </wpt>

I manually emulated a sort trip in order to show what Google Earth, for example, will show. Just open the attached "sample.txt" file in Google after changing its type to gpx.

This log has the necessary information to build the requested up & down report but it is not practical as the log contains all detected nodes (the filter only applies to inSSIDer graphical display) and the sample rate is about 2 seconds. This generates text files which exceeds the excel capabilities (64K records) even tough you log during some minutes. Also clever logic should be implemented to identify the lack of connectivity as the inSSIDer "First/ Last seen" timestamps are not included in the log. It should be better to build directly an specific node filtered log as, it seems to me, inSSIDer is already building it graphically in the "Time Graph" (continuos/ discontinuous node line).

I hope this will help you at least providing you with basic gpx concepts.

Best regards.

Jose
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi everyone,

I can appreciate the explanation from jrpuig concerning how .gpx log details work but Pete's question hasn't been answered yet, I have also been all over the internet trying to seek the same basic answer, how do you analyze a .gpx log file when you are monitoring from a static location and really do not care about movement and/or ap locations, I am trying to determine if a particular PC's wireless card is dropping the connection which requires a considerably long period of log time, is there a way to view the log file in the same format as the "time graph" in inSSIDer?

I am at a loss here but I don't quite understand the reasoning behind encoding wifi analyzing software's log file in a gps format which can only be opened in geographical mapping software? I may be a total noob here but I can not understand why such a useful and user friendly piece of software has such an asinine way in saving it's log file, I apologize for my frustration here. I have opened the .gpx file numerous times in google earth and none of the information other then MAC addresses are being plotted and they are showing up in the middle of the ocean.

Thank you for your time,

Doyle

7. Default

You're right, the GPX file is useless if you're not out and moving around with a GPS device. inSSIDer has never had playback abilities - the logging was created by the community. First it was the gpx export and then someone added a GPX to KML exporter which will make the file usable by google earth.

If you are monitoring from a static location, a GPS log will give you nothing but the same static location. inSSIDer doesn't have the ability to guess the locations of Wi-Fi access points if that is what you're trying to do. You might want to just check out the WiGLE database if that is the case.

For your purposes, inSSIDer is a real-time-only tool. InSSIDer will not be able to tell you if a PC's wireless card is the issue. inSSIDer only scans for the Wi-Fi beacons and this information doesn't tell you much about its current connection since the beacons happen regardless of the connections or not.

Depending on the access point hardware, you can export an event log that may be a little more telling about the client.

Hi, Doyle.

If you want a mickey mouse (but effective) solution, please let me know and I'll post the details. Only minimal Excel skills are required. A quick overview...

1. Run a one-line batch file to drop the unnecessary lines in the GPX file.
    2. Open output from (1) in Excel. (The first step will have decreased the file's rows to roughly 20% of the original - 6 rows per entry. If that's not enough for it to fit into your version of Excel then you could open the file in your favorite text editor and copy and paste sections of the file into separate Excel sheets.)
    3. Add five formulas to create a line for each measure.
    4. Filter the data to select just the "measure" lines.
    5. Copy and paste to separate sheet.
    6. Analyse/graph as required. (Values are MAC, RSSI, Quality, Channel, Date_Time.

Of course, depending on your technical abilities, there are a million better solutions.

Regards,
    Brian.