Thread: Why no vendor name for my router?

Default Why no vendor name for my router?

I see about a dozen routers listed along with mine, but all of them list a "Vendor" name while my value for this field is blank. Any ideas as to why?

It would most likely be because the OUI (vendor) database inside of inSSIDer is over a year old.

I recently replaced my Actiontec with an updated model (same brand). inSSIDer shows about ten other Actiontecs in my neighborhood, which all display 'Actiontec Electronics' in the Vendor field.

The vendor is determined by the first 3 sections of the BSSID. Sometimes vendors run out of BSSIDs allocated to them, and have to get more, with a different first 3 sections. Your new one most likely uses a newer allocation.

I have a techie answer to this : IEEE organization has an OUI.TXT file, that is updated daily.
    http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt ; it lists all MAC ADDRESS prefixes === example................
    00:21:7c:xx:xx:xx -----> "2-wire co."; NOW, what would be nice is for INSSIDER to do something along this line.
    have an "UPDATE OUI LIST" tool-task, or a startup option to get a newer list itself.
    Externalizing large data portions from a program is less disruptive and a better s/w technique. Hopefully my suggestions will be heard by some one. (instead of yearly updates!!)
    BUT remember , some "suppliers" may not hurry to get a new OUI-number. so be aware of blank-names. see http://standards.ieee.org/develop/re...ui/public.html for more on OUIs.
    for full details. They cost $2,000 / year - so why rush in???

ORGANIZATIONALLY UNIQUE IDENTIFIER (OUI) OR 'COMPANY_ID'

An OUI or 'company_id' is a 24-bit globally unique assigned number referenced by various standards.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ssid21 View Post
    NOW, what would be nice is for INSSIDER to do something along this line.
    have an "UPDATE OUI LIST" tool-task, or a startup option to get a newer list itself.
    Externalizing large data portions from a program is less disruptive and a better s/w technique. Hopefully my suggestions will be heard by some one. (instead of yearly updates!!)
    Excellent suggestion...I've wanted to do this for a while, but it never makes it to the top of my "20%" list. Feel free to code it up and submit a pull request, we will definitely push out an update if someone submits this feature!