Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signal Strength does not change appropriately?

Default Signal Strength does not change appropriately?

For some reason the singnal strength does not seem to match what is happening arround it. more accuratly it does not seem to sample the singnal strength often enough like it is hanging for a few minutes, releasing, then hanging again. please look at the screen shot, this is with me moving arround the house. This is the same type of result that I get in any building or site.

I did notice that if i refresh wireless networks using the ms wireless network connection tool it seems to force inssider to update.

NIC: Intel Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
    Chipset: Intel 8280

any thoughts please...

Default I have experienced the same

I have experienced the same thing. It seems that the (usually) first signal that is displayed stays at the same Amplitude throughout a extended scan of channel loading. It is as though there is a "peak hold" function on the first recognized signal. Others signals vary on both screens, but the first seems to lock at the same amplitude. I can drive out of range of the signal and it will remain locked there at constant amplitude (while all the other signals vary up and down) until I exit the program, then turn it back on. I am using Gateway MX6447 laptop, XP, with single Turion64 processor with the internal antenna. version 1.2.0.0708. The previously loaded version had same problem. // John

Default We are looking into the

We are looking into the various signal strength bugs.

Both of you are using WinXP right?

4. Default Thanks for reporting this.

Thanks for reporting this. I will make sure it is logged in our error reporting system.

5. Default There is an option to change

There is an option to change the network scan rate in inSSIDer.* Let me know if this does anything.[img_assist|nid=1579|title=inSSIDer Preferences|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=346|h eight=335]

Default Update to my comments

Update to my comments yesterday. I have previously changed the setting to 500 ms scan and selected the NDIS(?)for xp as recommended after updating insider the other day. The problem remains as before. Last night I went a step further and turned off one of my signal sources that was locked at a constant amplitude and waited 7 minutes (I have set the timer to 1 minute to dump inactive source). I exited the insidder program, then reactivated insidder, the previous constant amplitude returned at its previous value, other signals were varying as they should. I think,but am not sure, that the problem is one the RED displayed signal only. I will continue to monitor it as we are installing open-mesh distribution system for wifi.

Default Update to my comments

Update to my comments yesterday. I have previously changed the setting to 500 ms scan and selected the NDIS(?)for xp as recommended after updating insider the other day. The problem remains as before. Last night I went a step further and turned off one of my signal sources that was locked at a constant amplitude and waited 7 minutes (I have set the timer to 1 minute to dump inactive source). I exited the insidder program, then reactivated insidder, the previous constant amplitude returned at its previous value, other signals were varying as they should. I think,but am not sure, that the problem is one the RED displayed signal only. I will continue to monitor it as we are installing open-mesh distribution system for wifi.

Default The hanging, releasing,

The hanging, releasing, hanging again is because InSSIDer's NDIS interface does not seem to force the card to scan.
    We are working on the problem.

Default Have you tried it without

Have you tried it without being connected to a network?
    That was my problem. When connected, The amplitude would stay the same. As soon as I disconnected, the amplitude changed.

Default I too am having the same

I too am having the same problem:

inSSIDer does not work well on my XP SP3 HP 8510p. On battery power, all detected signals update about once a minute. On AC power, only the currently connected or most recently connected network updates at the specified refresh rate (500ms) while the other signals still update about once a minute.

NetStumbler does not have this problem and works just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast