Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v2.1 - why was filter by RSSI removed?

Exclamation v2.1 - why was filter by RSSI removed?

Is it just me or has the filter been "dumbed down" for v2.1? I live in a dense urban area and there are 30-40 APs at any given time when I launch inSSIDer. I used to use the filters to limit the display to only networks that were above a certain strength. It seems this is no longer possible?

Hi luckman,

Thank you for your feedback, we love to hear what our users think of our products. The filters we have are the most commonly used to our knowledge, however, I can always submit a feature request for RSSI based filtering.

Stephen

Thanks for the reply, but what I was getting at is that the RSSI filter (unless I am crazy) *was* in the previous version, and seems to have been removed. Or am I dreaming??

It was in the previous version, but has been removed. The filters were 'simplified' down to 5 types: SSID, vendor, channels, network type, and security mode. I used the RSSI and age filters frequently when wardriving.

Ok that's what I thought!
    Yes if we could please have that filter back - it was arguably the most useful filter of the bunch!

Smile Agree

Love your program, it is great.

One of its great features is its ability to filter on so many different conditions, at least in 2.0.

Version 2.1 feels like a giant step backwards. There are a number of other well-thought-out filters that were removed as well. The previous system was very flexible and powerful, and incorporated boolean logic as well.
    If you are just trying to present a simplify the interface, could you include an "advanced interface" option that would expose all of the filtering technology that you have already built into this great program?

I have uninstalled 2.1 and am currently using 2.0.

Take care,

Craig

I'd like to roll back to 2.0 as well--- where did you find the installer for that?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
    the RSSI filter (unless I am crazy) *was* in the previous version, and seems to have been removed. Or am I dreaming??
    Yes it was. Our thinking was the sorting by strongest signal worked equally well for RSSI, as the value is constantly updating, so networks could potentially be popping in and out of the filtered results.

Quote Originally Posted by smithcferg View Post
    If you are just trying to present a simplify the interface, could you include an "advanced interface" option that would expose all of the filtering technology that you have already built into this great program?
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes, simplification of the filter UX was the goal, but an advanced mode would be great for folks like yourself.

I second the vote for an "advanced mode" for users who wish to make use of the old and more flexible filter system. Sorting by RSSI does not solve the problem of dense urban areas with 50 visible networks cluttering up the lower pane display and constantly flapping in/out. Being able to limit to e.g. RSSI >60 is a lifesaver in cases like that. Please bring it back!

10. Default

I would also agree that the RSSI filter is a great way to focus on the networks within your immediate range. Sorting is not as efficient since the networks are continually jumping in and out of those values. The table is too large to track the changes in RSSI.

Thank you for your feedback. I will link to the previous version for those interested in keeping the old filters: inSSIDer 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast