Thread: what is the used of logging??

Default what is the used of logging??

hello guys

im clueless of what is the used of logging in inssider maybe it would give big help to our thesis project coz were going to measure 24/7 and its quite tiring. maybe this one could help.. i am planning to just leave my laptop for many hours i already start logging and save it and let the inssider do the task for every hours..my question is can i retrieve the data(the complete data showed in inssider) for every hours?? or can i still see the behavior of the signals for every hours??...

cheers!!!
    Last edited by 12angel86; 02-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Hi angel,

The uses of logging are many and varied; but in general inSSIDer will keep track of all the relevant data associated with the AP's that your WiFi adapter senses. The same data that you see displayed on the screen: MACid, Time, Signal level, SSID etc.
    If you have a compatible serial/Bluetooth GPS adapter you can also add lontitiude and latitude points to the log.

InSIDDer will keep logging until your log file fills up (ie you run out of disk space)

The data can be converted and if you have GPS data you can plot the points using maps from Google Earth.

People have posted different programs to analyse the output data in different ways ...

you need to be clear about what information you are looking for.

cheers
    Last edited by mayim; 02-12-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by mayim View Post
    Hi angel,

The uses of logging are many and varied; but in general inSSIDer will keep track of all the relevant data associated with the AP's that your WiFi adapter senses. The same data that you see displayed on the screen: MACid, Time, Signal level, SSID etc.
    If you have a compatible serial/Bluetooth GPS adapter you can also add lontitiude and latitude points to the log.

InSIDDer will keep logging until your log file fills up (ie you run out of disk space)

The data can be converted and if you have GPS data you can plot the points using maps from Google Earth.

People have posted different programs to analyse the output data in different ways ...

you need to be clear about what information you are looking for.

cheers

I USED logging in inssider from 1am to 6am and let it run by itself. what i want to know is can i retreive the data which the inssider have???!!..

and i never used gps adapter that time...is it okie!! im afraid i cannot open or see the data for 5 hours..

help me please..im still confused

Hi angel,

Yes you can retrieve the log file; on XP it defaults to logfilename.gpx in "My Documents" folder.
    You may have changed the name before you started logging.
    If you see a .gpx file in that folder it's probably the one.

If you don't run XP then click on "Change log filename" under the "File" tab
    that should tell you which folder the logfile is in.

If there was no GPS attached when you did the log it will still have all the data about the AP's except for the Latitude & Longitude info from the GPS.

(If your pc was sitting on your desk while you did this log then the Latitude & Longtitude data is constant because the gps device did not move )

hope this help

cheers

angel,

mayim is correct. You can do a search for a .gpx file to find where your log is. Also, it is very true that if you never moved your computer, then your lat/long will be constant.

mayim,

Thank you for contributing useful information for other users. We really appreciate it.

Stephen

Hey Stephen,

It's my pleasure

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mayim View Post
    Hi angel,

Yes you can retrieve the log file; on XP it defaults to logfilename.gpx in "My Documents" folder.
    You may have changed the name before you started logging.
    If you see a .gpx file in that folder it's probably the one.

If you don't run XP then click on "Change log filename" under the "File" tab
    that should tell you which folder the logfile is in.

If there was no GPS attached when you did the log it will still have all the data about the AP's except for the Latitude & Longitude info from the GPS.

(If your pc was sitting on your desk while you did this log then the Latitude & Longtitude data is constant because the gps device did not move )

hope this help

cheers

im happy to know about this but i want to know what is the particular software that could read a .gpx file. thaks and more power!

Hi Angel,

check out this page for a list of application software that use GPX files

http://www.topografix.com/gpx_resources.asp

cheers